Help please, winters here defrost not working, w210 320cdi avantgarde estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

evozero

Car
w210 320cdi estate
Hi All,
Bought my w210 320cdi avantgarde estate in July. Really enjoying ownership, no drama's until now. The first real frost and the windscreen is not defrosting properly. The vent control dial does not change direction of the air, ie from feet to windscreen. The heater and aircon is working, as is fan speed, just directing the air seems to be the issue.

What would you suggest, I can find much on the net about it, don’t think its a known fault?
Will be a pain through winter.

Otherwise its a great car!

Many Thanks
Ian

Is the below your type of heater control?

Source… http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/29698-howto-replace-faulty-heater-panel-bulbs-w210.html
242377405_dd383e6a72.jpg

Dec

Stepper motors making any noise?

I just sat in the car playing around with the controls.
There is absolutely no noise when turning the vent control dial. I turned the two temperature wheels onto maximum heat / windscreen setting, and the vent control onto 12 o’clock position/windscreen logo and there is virtually no air directed to the windscreen.

I cant hear any motor noise when turning the vent control dial with either the fan running or off?

Is the vent control dial / selector fused?

Many Thanks
Ian

Last edited:
Has anyone removed that heater control unit recently?

Dec

I have only had the car since July, so have no idea?
I'll get a screwdriver out and have a nose.

Cheers
Ian

The air direction is controlled by 2 pegs that fit into 2 TUBES as illustrated in below picture, guide here… http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/29698-howto-replace-faulty-heater-panel-bulbs-w210.html

Sometimes, when the heater control unit is reinstalled, after removal, the 2 pegs on the rear of the unit are not put back correctly into their TUBES with the result that you can’t redirect the airflow to the window or floor.

Edit; You may need to turn the air direction dial in order to get the two pegs into their TUBES .

attachment.php

Dec

Last edited:
Its a similar set up to the 124. I had issues with the cables detaching from the flaps. Its a dash out job to do it if thats the case. On ours the rotary control was not working 100% putting extra strain on the cables and hence breaking the connectors. It was only on the third time of taking the dash out that we cottoned on to this

Dec you are a genius!
I now have air blowing fiercely on the windscreen.
The pegs weren’t connected to the tubes on the back of the vent control dial.

I owe you a pint!

Many thanks everyone for your input.
Ian

Result!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom