Help Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hawk20

MB Enthusiast
Car
ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
A friend with a car with an oil leak has parked on my drive and left oil stains.

Anyone know, please, how to remove oil from a tarmac drive without harming the tarmac. Someone said petrol will dissolve the oil but soften the tarmac. True? Any better ways?

Petrol will mess up the tarmac badly so don't try it!

Had the same problem some years back with my wife's renault - we are however talking about prolonged leakage so a real mess.

I used a product called oxiclean - it's the same stuff as is now sold in pink tubs here for washing - white powder, mix a strong solution with warm water, it fizzes, pour on & leave or agitate, then rinse off. Took several goes but it did remove the gunge

definately dont use petrol... my car had a leak and the next day there was a crater in the ground!

I heard that cat litter works well on oil stains (although it may leave you with a different problem!).

Scouring the internet I just tried B&Q. Thompson's Oil and Drive cleaner can be used on tarmac or concrete or paviers --say B&Q. I've tried other Thompson's products and they are usually good.

Cat Litter +1

Yeppers - scrub with Fairy and/or cover it in cat litter for a bit.

To be honest you can also use soil off the garden or sand. Just needs to work in and soak up. If you know anyone with a decent jetwash, that could help.

m.

Believe it or not, I've used salt to great effect on my drive... Just cover the spill completely with salt, leave for a day (or night) then rinse off...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom