Help- Power supply keeps blowing !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pepe

Car
c250 td 1998
My friends pc packed up the other day and it turned out to be the power supply, Put my spare psu in and pc would turn on but not go past the first boot page where it checks ram etc, so turned it off have gone back to it today and the same thing has happened to this psu. Have had lids off them both and both power supply fuses have blown, what could be causing this- faulty motherboard maybe ??
Thank in advance.

Could be the psu watts.. If you have an athlon or similar you need to ensure you get a high power psu or it will keep blowing. Try a 450 watt or similar

Alan

Pepe,
Most smpsu's should have current limit protection on them. This means that even if there is a dead short on the output, the current will fold back so as not to overload the psu.
I'd be very surprised if the motherboard could cause the fuse in the psu to blow - my experience is that it's most likely to be a faulty psu.
I'd stick my neck out and say it's a coincidence - try another psu (cheap enough) and see what happens. It's simpler and cheaper than replacing the motherboard.

the power supply that went was a 300w one , my spare was a brand new 500w one. It was working for a short amount of time but i could only get that first screen up where it asks to press F2 to enter set up page, but then would just sit there, pressing F2 would do nothing.

check he hasn't fried his processor or done something else to it - the fuses don't just blow on their own

My brother recently decided to see if the PC would work without the CPU fan plugged in :crazy: - the only thing it did was blow the fuse in the plug - he kept changing it - it kept blowing!! He had fried both the CPU and the main board!! :rolleyes:

My guess is mainboard/processor problem

HTH

Andy

I concur with Andy - I had exactly the same problem and I had to replace the motherboard and chip to get it sorted.

Good time to upgrade?

Steve

:eek:

Bet it's an AMD processor, had this problem a few times, Some of the AMD's do not have thermal overload, so if you fan on the CPU or PSU gets clogged, or stops, it can be goodbye motherboard and CPU.
Hence I now only use Intel processors, may not be the quickest, but if the fan goes the CPU shuts down, unlike AMD which shorts and bungs 12volt down the 5volt line.

Paul.

PSU Probs....

It could be a problem the other way around.... slight power spikes too subtle for the plug - but big enuff to blow PSU fuse - try a specifically tailored circuit breaker..... and as everyone else suggests could be Mobo....

From a guy who tests dozens everyday......

May sound a bit simple, but would say to have a good check around the inside of the case to check there aren't any shorts... As why did his PSU go in the first place, and then yours in close succession.

If the pc booted up far enough to show you the ram check, then I'm pretty sure that means that the CPU was working! but as a few on here have already said they have had similar problems, it is quite possible the CPU has gone.

Try borrowing another CPU and some other RAM and test again, it may be them.

Good luck.

Sparky

cheers guys, will try all the above and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom