Help - "Private / Light Goods" versus "Light Goods Vehicle"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
I've just spotted that my Vito Dualiner was registered by the dealer as a "Light Goods Vehicle", rather than the "Private / Light Goods" I was expecting.

Does anybody know the implications of this? It's for personal use only, and I paid full VAT on it. The gross weight easily falls into the PLG class (up to 3.5 tonnes).

I assume that getting the class changed (if this is possible) would involve some time, hassle and money - don't want to go through this unnecessarily.

My main concern is it might affect the speed limits that apply. I was very careful to ensure it met the rules for a "Dual Purpose Vehicle" (basically a van with seats and windows in the middle, under 2040 kg unladen) ... which is subject to normal "car" limits.

So, any advice welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Go to your local DVLO.
Take all your paperwork with you and they will change it over for you.
I had this a couple of years ago on a transi that was used for private only (a home made camper)

Bill;

With glass behind the drivers shoulder you are OK for speed limits

As grav says, it's easy enough, but usually a queue at these offices

Was going to edit my post to say definitly avoid the DVLO at the beginning and end of the month, as that's when all the haulage companies tax their lorries;)
I've found with my one, if you go about 10am, middle of the month, there are only about 10 people in the queue. They do have chairs to sit on though.
Also, if they use the same system as mine, you take a ticket on entry and wait for your number to be called.

TIP:

Check on the window sill by the door when you go in.
Sometimes, a motor trader will take 2 or 3 tickets at once, so if someone they know walks in, they give them a ticket.
I have found many tickets that are only a couple of numbers away from being called:D

Last edited:
Not 100% sure, but was there not a change in wording for goods vehicles earlier this year? That may be the reason for your Light Goods..." as opposed to "Private/light goods"

Go to your local DVLO.
Take all your paperwork with you and they will change it over for you.
I had this a couple of years ago on a transi that was used for private only (a home made camper)
Definitely,
This is a very serious question, with severe implications. I just checked our V5 and blowed if I can find any reference to your question. Our Sprinter body type is described as:
Section D3
Van\Side Windows

Section J
N1

My wife has always cruised at 'about' 70mph on motorways, and during the years of doing this we have overtaken numerous police traffic vehicles and have never been stopped?

Our vehicle has seating for four people.

Interesting thread.

John

Bill;

With glass behind the drivers shoulder you are OK for speed limits

It's not quite as simple as that - you need at least 2 proper seats, a glazed tailgate, and the unladen weight must be under 2040 kg. It's fairly easy for an optioned-up van to fail the last bit (particularly with a big engine :D) ... in which case it's no longer a Dual Purpose Vehicle, and the lower 'van' speed limits apply. I made certain my 120 Long would meet the DPV requirements.

I just wasn't sure if there was any link between the tax class and the Dual Purpose Vehicle definition.

Our Sprinter body type is described as:
Section D3
Van\Side Windows

Thanks, on mine I'm pretty sure the body just says 'van'. No mention of the side windows.

What are the implications of leaving it as LGV??

Insurance issues.
Light goods vehicle (I won't put LGV as that is the new HGV, as in Large) would mean business insurance and also goods in transit and public liability insurance.
This is what I have to have as a minimum on my vans (as well as the big boys toys).

My wife has always cruised at 'about' 70mph on motorways, and during the years of doing this we have overtaken numerous police traffic vehicles and have never been stopped?

You would be ok on motorways as the 'van' speed limit is 70 there. But it's 60 on dual carriageways and 50 on single carriageways (when national speed limit applies). A friend of mine with a Transit with centre windows and seats but over 2040 kg was done for 58 mph on an unrestricted single carriageway because the limit for her vehicle was actually 50 (which she had no idea of).

You would be ok on motorways as the 'van' speed limit is 70 there. But it's 60 on dual carriageways and 50 on single carriageways (when national speed limit applies). A friend of mine with a Transit with centre windows and seats but over 2040 kg was done for 58 mph on an unrestricted single carriageway because the limit for her vehicle was actually 50 (which she had no idea of).

You would be surprised how many people do not know the speed limits for a van. My neighbour got a ticket for speeding and his is registered as PLG, but is just a van with side windows and a bulkhead, no glass.

There was a thread on here some time ago about it too.

You would be surprised how many people do not know the speed limits for a van.

NSL on A roads is violated by just about 100% of trucks and vans I've ever encountered. Mixture of don't know and don't care. Enforcement is very patchy.

OK now I'm even more confused.

I've spoken to my insurers (CIS), and they don't care what my Vito is registered as. Cover is based solely on the declared use - in this case social, domestic, and pleasure. So long as I don't use it for commercial purposes they are happy.

What other implications might there be, apart from insurance?

OK now I'm even more confused.

I've spoken to my insurers (CIS), and they don't care what my Vito is registered as. Cover is based solely on the declared use - in this case social, domestic, and pleasure. So long as I don't use it for commercial purposes they are happy.

What other implications might there be, apart from insurance?

I would tread very carefully with that and get it firmly in writing from your insurers in case of any claim and them then saying you are not properly insured.
I was just going on my previous experience.

Other implication could be, as already said above, speed, especially if you get a nasty traffic cop, who looks at your tax disc. This would also show light goods vehicle.

It's a van with windows so if the GVW is above 2000Kg then the van speed limits apply. A long Vito's GVW is 2770Kg.

I don't know if you can get it reclassified but is 10mph all that important. Most plod cars don't bother you, the Gatso's don't know what you are, only the camera vans seem to get people( including me, 58mph in a NSL:( )

Other implication could be, as already said above, speed, especially if you get a nasty traffic cop, who looks at your tax disc. This would also show light goods vehicle.

Yup I'm waiting to hear from the Thames Valley Police (who were extremely helpful when I was researching about DPVs before I put my order in), and the DVLA.

But as far as I know a DPV is a DPV. Some are used commercially, some privately. I've never seen anything to indicate that different speed limits apply depending on the tax disc.

It's a van with windows so if the GVW is above 2000Kg then the van speed limits apply. A long Vito's GVW is 2770Kg.

Not true. It has an unladen weight of under 2040 kg, which (in conjunction with other rules to do with number and size of windows, number and type of seats etc.) makes it a Dual Purpose Vehicle. A DPV has the same speed limits as a normal passenger car.

If it fails any of the criteria for being a DPV then you're right - it becomes a non car-derived van with gross weight over 2 tonnes.

Right I've had a reply from the DVLA.

'PLG' ceased to exist as a category for vehicles registered from 1st March 2001 onwards. Since then all car-derived vans and panel vans have been registered as 'light goods vehicle' (Tax Class 39). Cars are either 'petrol car' (TC48), 'diesel car' (TC49) or 'alternative fuel car' (TC59).

Between 1st March 2003 and 31st December 2006 there was an additional category (TC36) for Euro 4 light goods vehicles, I assume from this year onward they all had to be Euro 4 anyway?

So nobody should have a Dualiner registered as PLG ...

I guess the question is now - is it possible to register one as 'diesel car', and would there be any advantage in doing this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom