Help required networking a LAN printer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red C220

MB Enthusiast
Car
2021 Mazda MX-30 EV, 2014 FF
I have an oldish Laser printer which is thoroughly reliable and prefect for my needs - Samsung ML-2152w

It's fine using a USB cable and works lovely, but it's a big old lump and I'd like it tucked away somewhere and wish to utilise it's wireless capabilities.

Before I get it wireless I need to get the wired bit working.

My system:-

Windows Vista on a Laptop.
AVG Free
Windows Firewall

I've connected the printer via an ethernet cable. I've used the Samsung software (IPset.exe) to set the following:-

IP 192.0.0.192
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.0.0.192

It then prints out a test page for me confirming the changes to the settings. So I know at least the printer and laptop are in communication.

I have activated printer sharing in the network settings.

At that point I'm now stuck.

I want to log into the printer control panel via my browser - buy typing in the printer IP - browser doesn't see it.

The printer also does not appear in the network area on Vista.

Is this a firewall issue or do I have to set up more protocols?

Do I actually have to install drivers and software specifically for the networking bit?

I have a full copy of the Manual (great and very detailed right up to the networking bit where it seems to assume you're conversant with LAN's of all types)and have spent 5 hours today going around in circles with the manual and on the net trying to find an answer, but I now have to admit defeat.

This is probably as daft as changing one setting, but without knowing what that setting is I'm stuck.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
It did that itself TBH.

the default gateway IP is actually 192.168.1.1

I tried that setting but it made no difference whatsoever.

The Samsung manual actually suggest for a LAN (ie a direct link to the one computer on which it is to be used) that subnet and gateway are redundant. The IP address is the only relevant information required.

I don't know anything about that specific printer, and I haven’t got Vista so can’t see if the steps are the same, but I've set up other printers on my home network normally you set the printer to acquire an IP address using DHCP (so your router issues an IP address). I can't imagine that setting it to the same as your default gateway can be correct.

Then (with the ones I've done) you install the printer as a LOCAL (this bit throws people as they think it must be installed as a network printer) on say, LPT1 - and then go into printer properties and select Ports tab, and Add Port - select Standard TCP/IP port, enter in IP address the printer is using.
select apply. close the properties dialog box, and re-open it and try and print a test page.

I'm not connecting this via a router. The printer has it's own network capabilities and wireless capabilities.

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong?

Your default gateway would normally be your router and all devices inc your laptop need to be in the same IP subnet to be able to talk to each other.

E.G. If you're router was 192.168.1.1 , then you'd set your laptop as 192.168.1.2 and your printer as 192.168.1.3 and so on. Both the laptop and printer would have a subnet mask set to 255.255.255.0 and a default gateway of 192.168.1.1

I'm not connecting this via a router. The printer has it's own network capabilities and wireless capabilities.

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong?

Ah, OK - I have no idea about that. Wireless will work on an 'adhoc' basis on some printers, but I've never done it.

It might be easier to get a wireless USB kit!

If the printer's old, it may not support the encryption protocol that's in use on your wireless network.
If that's the case, fiddling with your address schema will achieve nothing.
As Rory suggests, you could use a USB print server, but it's also worth checking whether your router incorporates one (some do).

Last edited:
Your default gateway would normally be your router and all devices inc your laptop need to be in the same IP subnet to be able to talk to each other.

E.G. If you're router was 192.168.1.1 , then you'd set your laptop as 192.168.1.2 and your printer as 192.168.1.3 and so on. Both the laptop and printer would have a subnet mask set to 255.255.255.0 and a default gateway of 192.168.1.1

Did above^

That's the default setting of the printer as it happens.

The printer printed out a confirmation of the above.

I go to my browser type in 192.168.1.3 so I can access the admin software and turn on the wireless - but nothing. What is blocking me?

If the printer's old, it may not support the encryption protocol that's in use on your wireless network.
If that's the case, fiddling with your address schema will achieve nothing.
As Rory suggests, you could use a USB print server, but it's also worth checking whether your router incorporates one (some do).

It's not "that" old and has all updated drivers on the Samsung support site right up to Windows 7 - it should operate fine.

This is simply a user issue or more accurately a user that half knows what he's doing which is far more destructive than a user that knows nothing!

It's not "that" old and has all updated drivers on the Samsung support site right up to Windows 7 - it should operate fine.

This is simply a user issue or more accurately a user that half knows what he's doing which is far more destructive than a user that knows nothing!

Just had a look at the Samsung site and you're correct that the printer supports WPA/WPA2 (one of which is likely to be used by your wireless router) as well as WEP (which is outmoded).

Just to be pedantic, though, that's not the same thing as printer drivers.

Your printer needs a unique IP address within the same range as the other devices on your network and this can be either static (i.e. you define it within the range capable of being connected to by your router) or it can be assigned dynamically by your router (which incorporates a DHCP server).

Dynamic addressing is fine so long as, having assign an address to a device, the DHCP server reserves the address for that device. The router provided by my ISP does this, but at this point I don't know about your own network arrangements.

You need to know what the assigned (by whichever method) IP address is, because you will need it to define a printer port on your PC(s).

Note that, unless you want to use the printer from another network, the default gateway is irrelevant (although the printer itself may insist on there being an entry for it). The printer also needs to be configured with the same encryption scheme as is used by your router, otherwise communication will not take place.

All this is in the manual and doesn't take too long to do hands-on but writing instructions that provide for every eventuality can get seriously long-winded.

As for connecting to the embedded web server, it's possible that you need to connect via a port other than port 80 (I haven't found anything about this), but you don't need to access this web server to be able to use the printer, as the necessary stuff is incorporated in the driver (which lives on your PC). I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage.

If you want to get to grips more directly I'll be happy to assist. Just send me a personal message.

My guess is, that even though you have set the printer IP address, the router is assigning it a different one.

As others have said IP should not be the same as the gateway.

The router is Royal Mail and hands out the (IP) address to each device.

You would be able to login to the router and tell it to assign a Fixed Address (Static IP) to ensure all goes well.

I've assigned a static IP address to the printer following manufacturer instructions - 192.168.1.3

The printer is connected directly to the laptop using an ethernet cable. They clearly communicate as it prints a confirmation page when I change the printer settings via IPset.exe on the laptop.

I don't understand what the router has to do with any of this at the moment. I understand I'll need to get it involved to get the wireless working, but right now I'm trying to configure a wired connection directly between the printer and the laptop. I can then configure the wireless bit via a browser.

Am I doing this wrong?

Last edited:
You would normally connect through the router. So laptop plugged in and printer plugged into the router.

Where did you set the printer static IP - on the printer? If so that's only half the story.

I've never connected in the way you are, but I understand that you need a network cable that reverses the connections on one end to do this.

You would normally connect through the router. So laptop plugged in and printer plugged into the router.

Where did you set the printer static IP - on the printer? If so that's only half the story.

I've never connected in the way you are, but I understand that you need a network cable that reverses the connections on one end to do this.

IP set on the laptop - this then updates on the printer (but can also be set on the printer if required through the display panel).

Only the laptop is connected to the router (wireless).

The printer is stand alone and connected to the laptop directly with a Cat 5e cable.

Last edited:
It's pointless configuring a wired connection if you want a WiFi connection.

I need to configure a wired connection to access the printer control software (through the browser) to switch on the wireless signal.

Unless you know a different way I can do this?

I need to configure a wired connection to access the printer control software (through the browser) to switch on the wireless signal.

In either case you need to assign the IP address on the printer:

Simplest way is to do it via the control panel.
You should be able to setup the WiFi settings from within the printer too (as opposed to using any other software)

To do what you've described (i.e. access the printer using a web-browser to configure), you should really connect your printer to your router (assuming it acts as a switch / hub too). This will then allow your laptop to see the printer correctly and allow you to configure the settings you would need.

http://allegoric.us/OgRg5m Appendix E. appears to cover it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom