HELP: Scuffed plastic - how to fix?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
As you may know, I'm about to take delivery of my ML350 this week :bannana: - However, there's the Mini Cooper to shift. It's in great condition, except for the back of the driver and passenger seats. The plastic casing is badly scuffed. Can this be fixed/improved at all? Ta!

Is that from putting the bags of rollers and curling tongs in ? ;)

Just kidding mate !! :)

Hi Gucci why dont you take some pics of the damage then we can tell you if its repaiable or not

If you mean a MINI and not a Mini, then I bet they would be very cheap to replace with new from the dealer.

Is that from putting the bags of rollers and curling tongs in ? ;)

Just kidding mate !! :)

Roll on Thursday, when I turn from hairdresser to pimp :cool: errr, I can't win can I? :rolleyes:

Hi Gucci why dont you take some pics of the damage then we can tell you if its repaiable or not

Cheers gurpz, will do tomorrow (probably)

Remembered to take the pic....both seats look like this...(taken a bit of abuse from renovating house). What's the verdict doctors and nurses? Can it be fixed/improved?

Attachments

• miniseat.jpg
    miniseat.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 130
I would call that mechanical damage as the surface texture has been removed (scuffed) no amount of cleaning or polishing will change that, the only remedy is a transplant of the affected part.

Dec

Don't know if this would work or not, but how about trying some "Back to Black" silicone spray on it? It might level out the surface damage and improve the appearance. It is actually clear rather than black, but obviously try a small area first before going ape with it.

Cheers,

Gaz

Halfords used to do a range of aerosol vinyl paints for refinishing interior trim incuding semi-rigid plastic like this. I used their light grey to refinish a VW camper's dashboard, although that was a metal item . The finish was excellent although the grey was darker than "light grey" would suggest.

You would need to sand down the damaged bits and refinish the whole seat back. Best to remove the seat back (or the seat) to do the job, as the overspray would otherwise be a problem.

From memory, there is also a Halfords cleaner/degreaser which you need to use before applying the final finish from the aerosol can. I didn't bother as I stripped the dashboard and applied a universal primer first, but as I said, that was metal. You are therefore likely to need both cleaner/degreaser and the paint aerosols.

I also found that the coverage stated on the can was a bit optimistic, and I needed 50% more cans to finish the job.

I couldn't find it on Halfords web site today, but that only has a small fraction of the range that they keep in-store.

Try some wire wool. Rub it gently though. Its a valeters trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom