HELP!! SLK Non Crank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smarties

Hello fellow forum members. May I pick your collective brains regards a non-starting issue on my 2002 SLK230 Auto.
Long story short, With winter approaching, I disconnected the battery from the car approx. Oct last year, in the knowledge that I wouldn’t be using it over the coming months and in an effort to overcome battery drain and a flat battery when I came back to it.
Re-connected the battery, (after charging it), a few days ago. All seemed fine until I came to actually starting it: doors lock, unlock, indicators flash etc., no problem, turn key in ignition all warning lights illuminate, turn to crank engine and nothing!!
Read on a forum posting to disconnect the battery again and reconnect without trying to start it for half an hour or so…did that, no good.
Got a mobile tech out today, no MB diagnostics on board, but did have some snap on fault readers etc. He started the car by wiring the starter to the battery, fired up, albeit a bit lumpy, and ran fine.
Noticed the gearstick will not come out of park without using the manual unlock behind the gearstick, even with engine running, also the brake lights are on all the time.
After all said and done, he was of the opinion that it is an immobiliser fault, due to the length of time the car was left without power, and that it has lost all its memories/settings etc.
Any thoughts before I put a match to it, or alternatively get it recovered. 2002 car, 38000 miles! Battery was new last year as were key fob batteries. Thanks in advance.

Hello fellow forum members. May I pick your collective brains regards a non-starting issue on my 2002 SLK230 Auto.
Long story short, With winter approaching, I disconnected the battery from the car approx. Oct last year, in the knowledge that I wouldn’t be using it over the coming months and in an effort to overcome battery drain and a flat battery when I came back to it.
Re-connected the battery, (after charging it), a few days ago. All seemed fine until I came to actually starting it: doors lock, unlock, indicators flash etc., no problem, turn key in ignition all warning lights illuminate, turn to crank engine and nothing!!
Read on a forum posting to disconnect the battery again and reconnect without trying to start it for half an hour or so…did that, no good.
Got a mobile tech out today, no MB diagnostics on board, but did have some snap on fault readers etc. He started the car by wiring the starter to the battery, fired up, albeit a bit lumpy, and ran fine.
Noticed the gearstick will not come out of park without using the manual unlock behind the gearstick, even with engine running, also the brake lights are on all the time.
After all said and done, he was of the opinion that it is an immobiliser fault, due to the length of time the car was left without power, and that it has lost all its memories/settings etc.
Any thoughts before I put a match to it, or alternatively get it recovered. 2002 car, 38000 miles! Battery was new last year as were key fob batteries. Thanks in advance.

Could it have something to do with brake light switch? Maybe worth disconnecting it and trying then, just a thought good luck.

Hi Streethawk, Had another look at the brake lights, appears that its the peddle sticking, if you lift it with your toes, the brake lights go out. Thanks for your input.

auto,s normally only start/crank over in either "P" or "N" park or neutral .This is normally controlled by a small micro swithch on the gear shift linkage some where . I ve never had the Mercedes system apart so cant tell you where it is ,with the stuck in P syntems i would guess that this is the root of your problems , try a good auto electrician ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom