Help! transmission on drugs? W124 E300 Autoamtic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night

Car
W124 E300, 1986
Hey, I was driving today, intown speed went fint 50-60km/h, but when i got out on the high way a serius issue came along :(. Car refused to gear up/when i got to where it should go in to 3rd just around 60/70, the rpm went up and no gear change. When it did change from 1,2 and sometime 3rd it was a violont action and i could feal it. When I stopped and had the car toed to a shop. they took it for a test drive, after that it refused to go in t o reverse. It did go fwd. just ne. When i repeatedly moved the gear leaver back and forth. i did mange to get it in to reverse

When i drove the car just last week it went fine no issues at all. The car has been parked since that time.

I have check oil level for the transmission

Car is a MB300E, 1986 W124. Automatic.

What could this be? is the whole transmission a goner?

Thank you very much
Night

I had a something fairly similar on a dirtbox Ford Mondeo V6 24v once. I bought it as an interim car on the cheap and it ran for ages without issue.

However, when coming back on a long run from another site where I work, gradually I got to a point where the car would not change up beyond 3rd gear.

Eventually this worsened to not changing up beyond 2nd. As you can imagine, driving on the M25 in 2nd at 50/60 was fun.

However, I eventually arrived back at the site I normally worked at and after a short break of around 30 minutes, the car would change gears again fine until it got hot.

This was caused by the pipework, which fed ATF from the transmission to the radiator to be cooled and back again, leaking and dripping ATF. I surmised from that the ATF was not being cooled sufficiently and was preventing the gearbox from changing up properly.

However, the leak was not a major one although I wasn't able to fix it economically myself, so I flogged it for £200!

Apparently, once the pipework was replaced, it would have been fine - and indeed the gearbox had been perfect up until that point.

Might not be your issue but sounds similar...?

Thank you JohnEBoy, I left the car at at the shop over the weekend, to find the problem. I will call then when they open on Monday ask suggest this issue. The enigen was indeed very very hot.

I had to get on my way to reach a meeting. so I i arranged for someone to pick me up. This is an old car so it is limits for how much cash i want to spend to fix it up.

Did you also have that same issue with "R"?

Last edited:
Hmm, I had this issue late 2007 so I am struggling to remember if I had any issues with reverse - or whether I actually used R whilst the issue was occurring.

I seem to remember when it was hot again, when I first put it into drive I would press the accelerator and it would rev... and then thud into gear but not everytime.

I think if it is fine once it has cooled down, as mine was, it would seem to be something along those lines...

From what you've said, it maybe the engine is not being sufficiently cooled (knackered/blocked radiator/knackered thermostat etc.) which would effectively cause the same thing as the ATF is not being sufficiently cooled - and given you have checked the ATF level (assuming it is correct), it seems your car is not loosing ATF - so probably not exactly the same cause.

When you say the engine was very hot, I presume your temperature gauge was showing that?

donno about the gage. but when I opened the hood. it was still hot after an hour waiting.

I just filled up coolent level last week aswell.

Did you find out anything with regards to what the problem is/was?

any updates friend having same problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom