Help - tyre wear on E220 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ClevaChick2014

I bought an new E220 coupe in 2011 - 5 speed auto, diesel. I drive around 30k miles per annum, mostly motorway driving. The first year it wore through 1 full set of tyres, followed by 1 set of rears. This was the same wear levels that I previously experienced in a BMW320i I had. In year 2, the Merc has gone through 1 full set, and today has gone in for its 3rd set of rears (so 4 sets of rears in 12 months). The last 2 sets have lasted 9k and 5k respectively. I have tried Continentals, Pirellis, Michelin and Dunlops (soft compound but super in wet weather, no aquaplaning or twitching in wet, these lasted just 5k). For me, 4 sets of rear tyres in 12 months seems excessive on a rather boring coupe, but I'm no tyre expert. Incidentally, MB have it in today to replace the rears and investigate alignment, they have just called to say nothing wrong with the car. Does anyone have any views on whether this is quite normal or potentially what could be the cause of the tyre wear? Thank you!!

Michelins are usually longer lasting tyres compared to those you mentioned.

If they wore out in the same time period as the other then I would suspect somethings not right.

I use an independent body alignment company near me to check for any suspect vehicles that show signs of misalignment on the suspension or body (Truck Align),
you might find one near you to do an independent check.

Yup, Michelins have been tried, 8k out of those. I meant to add that I've had my first set of front brake pads and discs and rear pads changed at 68k, so I think MB are rethinking 'driving style' as the easy get out clause they have used since July!

Just found an independent company who does 4d alignment and geometric check with report. Looks a reasonable price too. Will call tomorrow. Thanks :)

Are the rear tyres wearing evenly across their width? If so, there's not much wrong with the car. If, however, they are wearing excessively on their inside edges, this is a common fault on the 211 model which has possibly carried over to the 212. If that's the case, then it's the rear camber which is out and needs to be rectified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom