help - Vauxhall astra washer/sprayer not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
Girlfriends mother has just turned up and her washer jets are not working. Bottle is full and the pipe is connected to both sprayers. When I activate the sprayer the pump is trying to function but sounds as if its running dry.

Any idea whats going on or does anyone happen :rolleyes: to have a diagram of the system handy?

Do love the way she turns up just as its turned dark:doh:

Use a safety pin and unblock the jets - common problem at this time of year with Astras..

have checked all the nozzles - they are clear and bone dry (so dont think water is getting anywhere them)

the nozsles themselves are not attached to the bonnet so no chance of a pinched pipe.

I really need to get under the car but will attempt that in the daylight.

Hi,
Could be a dodgy non-return valve.

and of course I have lent my trolley jack to a mate who pranged his van the other day in the snow :D

Does the reservoir pull off the pump still ? (they used to) if you pull it off the pump and just give it a bit of a shake, if there's anything blocking the inlet to the pump it should come clear.
BTW you didn't say what year the car is?

Does the reservoir pull off the pump still ? (they used to) if you pull it off the pump and just give it a bit of a shake, if there's anything blocking the inlet to the pump it should come clear.
BTW you didn't say what year the car is?

no idea re the pump :eek:. I can hear something trying to pump so I dont think its a blown fuse.

car is an 05 convertible jobbie.

Remove the washer motor from the washer bottle and you should find that it sits in a rubber bung that also doubles as a filter / strainer. Sometimes it may come out along with the motor.

If it is blocked and needs cleaning then you would be as well to remove the bottle, empty it and clean it out thoroughly too.

Remove the washer motor from the washer bottle and you should find that it sits in a rubber bung that also doubles as a filter / strainer. Sometimes it may come out along with the motor.

If it is blocked and needs cleaning then you would be as well to remove the bottle, empty it and clean it out thoroughly too.

That's what I meant to say :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom