HELP !! w208 BOOT JAMMED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spongebob

Car
1998 CLK 320 Sport
Hi guys (an girls),
Ive managed to jam the boot of my beautiful 1998 W208 CLK sport by getting the handle of my holdall tangled in the boot mechanism and it is jammed firmly shut !!
Yes I ve sat on it ,had a M8 yank it while I clicked the key and even took it to my local MB Harrogate who were extremly helpful :) but after an hour could'nt shift it. :confused: They say the only way in is to break the boot mounted light cluster and get the seat down and then crawl in and try to free it from there !!!!!!:rock:
any other sugestions really appreciated.:crazy:
Thanx
Spongebob

Hi guys (an girls),
Ive managed to jam the boot of my beautiful 1998 W208 CLK sport by getting the handle of my holdall tangled in the boot mechanism and it is jammed firmly shut !!
Yes I ve sat on it ,had a M8 yank it while I clicked the key and even took it to my local MB Harrogate who were extremly helpful :) but after an hour could'nt shift it. :confused: They say the only way in is to break the boot mounted light cluster and get the seat down and then crawl in and try to free it from there !!!!!!:rock:
any other sugestions really appreciated.:crazy:
Thanx
Spongebob

If you can get the rear seats down you may be able to pop the lock. Can you not get access via the armrest?

thanks 4 yr sugestion but the Mercedes technician said that the only way in was via the lights !!
they are however calling some colleuges to try to shed some more light on it !! I dont want to start breaking panels until I know if I can get in.
Thanks again
Rob

you could try somewhere like RAC or the AA....? i seem to remember them having "tools" to get into locked cars?

you can get in but a pain in the backside... you will need to remove rear seats and try and remove the storage box thing... then you can get to the lever to unlatch the folding seat and then from there you can get to the latch which you simply unbolt from the car...

you can get in but a pain in the backside... you will need to remove rear seats and try and remove the storage box thing... then you can get to the lever to unlatch the folding seat and then from there you can get to the latch which you simply unbolt from the car...

There speaks a man who has done it.:D :eek: :D

Many thanks for all the advice and threads guys I have a day off on Thusrday and will attack it with vengence then !! For now I have unloaded about half a can of WD40 into the lock to get it moving, if no luck Ill try the seats, If any of you W208 owners would have a look in the boot and see what is behind the folding armrest I could stanley knife the plastic out and try to unlock the folding seat back and crawl in!!
Once again many thanx
Rob

it depends what option you have... if you dont have through loading it will be a metal plate there and so no chance.

Thanks for yr replies Mercland, it does have the through loading so I will try to free the lock mechanism first, and if not atack it from the rear seats, are the seat squabs easy to shift??

MATE - I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE SAME CAR!!
HAVE HAD FOR THE PAST MONTH BUT BEEN SO BUSY WITH WORK AND HOLIDAY I HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO SORT IT.

INITIALLY, I DID THE WD40 PUSHED ON THE BOOT AND ALL THAT.

IT TURNS OUT THAT THE BOOT SWITCH INSIDE THE CAR NORMALLY HAS A RED LIGHT ON, WHEN THE RED LIGHT ISN'T THERE IT INDICATES THE FUSE HAS GONE. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THE FUSE FOR THE BOOT IS LOCATED IN THE BOOT!!!!!

I THEN SAW THAT SOMEONE ON THE FORUM HAD FOUND A WAY IN UNDER THE CASING OF THE FIRST AID KIT, WHERE THERE IS A SMALL RECESS INTO THE BOOT - YOU BASICALLY HAVE YOU TO STICK A SCREWDRIVER DOWN THERE AND FEEL FOR A SCREW.
IN DOING THAT I DROPPED 4 SCREWDRIVERS IN MY BOOT!!!

THERE SEEMS TO BE NO OTHER WAY TO DROP THE SEATS.

I WENT TO A GARAGE THIS WEEK AND THEY SAID THE WAY IN IS THROUGH THE TAIL-LIGHT WHERE THEY HAVE TO SMASH THE CASING AND GAIN ACCESS TO SOME HOSE?!?

Apologies for the capitals, i am definetely getting it sorted by the weekend so if anyone else has any suggestions which aren't as costly as smashing a tail light - PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks

For future reference.
Given the boot latch is vacuum operated and the vac pump is in the boot, I'd be tempted to fit another vac line into the car and stopper it off...just in case.

MATE - I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE SAME CAR!!
HAVE HAD FOR THE PAST MONTH BUT BEEN SO BUSY WITH WORK AND HOLIDAY I HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO SORT IT.

INITIALLY, I DID THE WD40 PUSHED ON THE BOOT AND ALL THAT.

IT TURNS OUT THAT THE BOOT SWITCH INSIDE THE CAR NORMALLY HAS A RED LIGHT ON, WHEN THE RED LIGHT ISN'T THERE IT INDICATES THE FUSE HAS GONE. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THE FUSE FOR THE BOOT IS LOCATED IN THE BOOT!!!!!

I THEN SAW THAT SOMEONE ON THE FORUM HAD FOUND A WAY IN UNDER THE CASING OF THE FIRST AID KIT, WHERE THERE IS A SMALL RECESS INTO THE BOOT - YOU BASICALLY HAVE YOU TO STICK A SCREWDRIVER DOWN THERE AND FEEL FOR A SCREW.
IN DOING THAT I DROPPED 4 SCREWDRIVERS IN MY BOOT!!!

THERE SEEMS TO BE NO OTHER WAY TO DROP THE SEATS.

I WENT TO A GARAGE THIS WEEK AND THEY SAID THE WAY IN IS THROUGH THE TAIL-LIGHT WHERE THEY HAVE TO SMASH THE CASING AND GAIN ACCESS TO SOME HOSE?!?

Apologies for the capitals, i am definetely getting it sorted by the weekend so if anyone else has any suggestions which aren't as costly as smashing a tail light - PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks
Hi Taff,
thanks for your advice, ;) with the help of my gorgeous and slender girlfriend Gemma :devil: we removed the firstaid tray then she reached in and un did the 2 screws holding the plastic panel, this allowed me to retrieve 90% of my work gear I still have to get at the seat backs to get into the boot, that is a toughie!!
Once again thanx

Shows how important it is to keep all of the mechanisms well lubricated:p

This is a copy from another similar thread here:

I've done this on my CLK. This is how I got round it.

Take the first aid kit out.
You will have an opening and your hand should fit through this.
You will feel a cable on either side, this is the cable that unlatches the rear seats.
Next I got a piece of long 1x1 piece of wood, cut a V at one end.
Now get the V on the cable and push downwards, you have to push quiet hard.

You will hear the latch release and the rear seat shoul be free.

Once you have done this it will give you access to the boot.
There are 4 bolts holding the lock in place undo these and the boot will open. Look for some of my posts I have a picture of this on here somewhere.

Next spend a couple of days freeing the lock with WD40.
I just left mine in oil over the weekend, and by Sunday night the lock was OK.

Hope this helps.

Alex.

Which MB part number is "gorgeous and slender girlfriend Gemma "

I dont have one in my tool box :D

Anyone know where the fuse in the boot (for the boot lock) is kept?
I have managed to gain access to the boot through the rear seats, all i need to do now is find that Fuse and change it!!?!?!

Let me know please.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom