Help W211 E220 pull right under hard braking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavatron06

Car
E220 CDI
Had to hit the brakes hard at 60MPH approx the other day and noticed my Nov 2002 E220 pulled towards the right :eek: luckily it was dry!

Tried this out a couple more times afterwards but always pulling to the right, triangular "ESP" light flashing on/off. I noticed a "motorised' like "humming" sound sometimes when I press the brake pedal, Is this normal? How should the brake pedal feel in this car? haven't had the car that long, pedal feels a bit spongy compared to my old Vectra?

Any ideas? I hear a pad change can sometimes solve this? but pads are 50% approx would this make a difference.

Mot in October, so while i'm here
My windscreen jets, don't work no noise as if the pump is gone completely? The head light washers are working perfectly, I know they draw from the same reservoir, but is t it a separate pump for the windscreen washers and headlight washers?

The pulling to one side could be brake imbalance, this is when one brake (on the front) is more efficient than the other, this causes the car to pull to one side. This could be due to several things. As your car pulls to the right I would have a look at the left brake.

You need a hand-on inspection since any advice here can only be hand on heart speculation, and we are talking brakes at the end of the day....

That said here's my take
1: Seized calliper OSF... Method of testing is to feel the temperature difference "WITH THE BACK OF YOUR HAND" between the front wheels.

2: Broken OSF coil... Method of testing is visual, does the front look level?

3: Worn OSF control arm bushing changing the castor position when braking... Method of testing, dab the brakes and listen/ feel for a thump... Make sure Domino's pizza's nuter scooter delivery rider isn't behind you.

4: Take it for a free inspection with the above in mind.

There are two motors...one for the headlights and one for the screen. Open the bonnet, and have someone activate the washers to see what happens.

There are two motors...one for the headlights and one for the screen. Open the bonnet, and have someone activate the washers to see what happens.

Yeah, like don't operate the headlamp wash whilst you peer at the bottle unless you fancy a good shower.

Probably a blocked pipe. Take the bottle and gubbins out of the car and give it a good wash out, it does come out. Clean out the pipework to the two pumps.

Ah, sorry Ren, didn't see the last Q by the OP!

You need a hand-on inspection since any advice here can only be hand on heart speculation, and we are talking brakes at the end of the day....

That said here's my take
1: Seized calliper OSF... Method of testing is to feel the temperature difference "WITH THE BACK OF YOUR HAND" between the front wheels.

2: Broken OSF coil... Method of testing is visual, does the front look level?

3: Worn OSF control arm bushing changing the castor position when braking... Method of testing, dab the brakes and listen/ feel for a thump... Make sure Domino's pizza's nuter scooter delivery rider isn't behind you.

4: Take it for a free inspection with the above in mind.

Thanks for the advice much apreciated, control arm bushing? Really I never would have suspected it! There is a bushing knocking comming from the left front, that's likely it. I had already checked the brakes, both seem to a the same temp.

I'll get it checked Sat but I like to know the problem before taking it in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom