Help wanted and quickly please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sprint-Man

Car
W209 CLK 240
I'm going to look at a 03 plated C180K SE tomorrow, has anyone got advice on this model PLEASE? Sorry to be so terse but the vehicle has just gone on sale and I want to be prepared and maybe buy?

Things that spring to mind (pardon the pun):

Worn suspension bushes
Fractured suspension springs

Hello

Bar the usual checks for tyres, rust under arches, everything electric works it may also be worth getting an AA or RAC check especially if buying private. Even worth asking for it to be run through an MOT at your cost if your serious (if private)

Its a fairly newish car and the engines been around so nothing really bad should be wrong assuming not space miles. Oh if it has the full sunroof check it shuts / opens and doesn't squeak as they can be an issue.

Remember to check the service book see when it was done, and how many miles you have left to the next service / if its a A or B one.

Thanks mate but how can you tell on a test drive?

No problem. Find some speed humps, a dry rubbing noise for bushes, a clunk/crack for springs.

Compare ride height on nearside and offside. Park somewhere level - petrol sation is ideal - with front wheels facing forward (not turned). Then, hold your hand flat with your thumb pointing upwards - as if making a dog-like shaddow puppet :crazy: - and insert your fingers into the gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch, then compare with the other side.

If one is lower than the other it's likely to be a cracked spring. You must have the wheels straight ahead on level ground though for this to be a valid check.

There is not much common on a W203 that wont spring its head during a test drive.

They suffer a little from rust, they suffer from broken springs and anti roll bar lD bushes at the front.. these will clunk on the drive.

IF you can afford it, wait for a facelifted 2004 or later model. Much, MUCH improved over the pre-facelifted car in so many ways. Will set you back more, but well worth the extra.
Facelift models can be identified by having clear (not fluted) headlamp glass and a twin dial instrument cluster. But the biggest benefit is a fully galvanised body. Earlier models were only partially galvanised and tended to rust in some places (see above post) and antiroll bar bushes improved.
IMHO.

Thank You, I missed the vehicle by 2 hours, still being able to drive away in a C180 is not such a bad thing? Your knowledge I will use in the future!

Thank You, I will utilise your knowledge in future. It's a great thing when you pass on your extensive competance to those like me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom