help, was I wrong to go c200k?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Magic

I have just put down a deposit on C200k, second hand 2001 model. I love Mercedes and this will be my first dream car.

Unfortunately I am also new to this site and the more I read the more I am worried about completing the deal.

Has anyone got an early c200k that hasn't had problems?

There are 1000s of them out there,, you only get some that have faults on forums.

Its the same as other models and rust, for every rusty one there could be 20 perfect ones.

If the car looks good to you and you had the car examined or it comes with a warranty be happy.

Based on Forums I would have never bought my SL but I love it and its been good

Thanks Malcolm,

I guess its like most things, most people only take the time to right complaints.

SL, nice, I will be working my up the ladder.

Whereabouts are you?

I have the same car but a 2004/5 model. Its true facelifted/later models are more sorted, but we all have a budget and it would be pointless of me to tell you to buy a later model. Early models can be excellent and provided they are cared for by previous owners SHOULD give good trouble free service. Therefore seek one out that you can check and verify its history. However, early W203's can also be problematical. Mainly down to poor QC during the period 2000-2003ish. However that's no reason not to not buy one. A good guide is quite unscientific actually and that's if you get bad vibes from the car, then look elsewhere. Your eyes and senses pick up on allot of information which is almost subconscious and can be a good guide. If you get good vibes, then that's not a bad thing. Its a good starting point for a more detailed examination of the car in question. Get it looked over by someone with better knowledge than you and see what they say.
Other forum members will no doubt add to my waffle. Let us know how it goes and if purchased, post some photos.
However, one thing you must be aware of as obvious as it may be. Mercedes cars cannot be run on a shoestring. You may be lucky and get one that only ever requires its regular maintenance. But then again, you might not. Getting Mercs repaired is not cheap and can drain a healthy bank balance in the blink of an eye. So don't say you haven't been warned.

These tips are by no means foolproof, but if used with a modicum of common sense, then can help point you in the right direction.

A good previous owner will keep the interior clean and looking good. The carpets should look in good condition and not frayed or threadbare. Seats should look good and not damaged. Avoid any car owned by a smoker. The engine bay should look clean and tidy. The boot is a good guide. A clean tidy boot with all its tools in place is another good sign. Long tax and MOT are desirable. MAKE SURE YOU GET 2 KEYS WITH CAR. Spares cost £150+ (I did say Mercedes werent cheap to run didn't I?).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom