Help, whats this key for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harleyfan, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Harleyfan

Harleyfan New Member

Car:
    C180 sport auto 1997
    Hi all, as per my introduction post, happy bunny here got me a C180 sport in A1 condition today but have a small problem.

In the owners wallet is a red key type thing and on the key fob is a black one, any idea what it is? i am thinking maybe alarm or immobiliser as there are a couple of sensors by the windscreen but no idea where it plugs in, what it is or even what make it is.

If anybody can give any advice it would be really appreciated.

Dealer i bought it from had no idea.

Attached Files:

2. Ian B Walker

Ian B Walker MB Enthusiast

Car:
    300-24, saloon and coupe, E300 24 valve diesel estate
    Its an immobiliser key. Look for a round socket with a red light above it. Usually under the right hand side of the steering wheel. It has been known to have it inside the glove box.

3. OP
    OP
    Harleyfan

Harleyfan New Member

Car:
    C180 sport auto 1997
    Ahhhh, thank you, will have a look in the morning, the keys are not used as the car locks etc ok so when would i ever need to used it? sorry i probably sound really dumb but you are talking to somebody who's best car so far has been a picasso lol

4. OP
    OP
    Harleyfan

Harleyfan New Member

Car:
    C180 sport auto 1997
    also may be worth finding out what make it is if i can as am wondering if the old insurance will go down a bit

5. Ian B Walker

Ian B Walker MB Enthusiast

Car:
    300-24, saloon and coupe, E300 24 valve diesel estate
    There should be another key fob with the car for remote locking. If the battery is disconnected the memory is lost and the alarm will sound. This key (the one pictured) resets the immobiliser.

6. OP
    OP
    Harleyfan

Harleyfan New Member

Car:
    C180 sport auto 1997
    i have the original key which locks the central locking. So is the one pictured an original manufacturer fitted one then, i wondered if it was an aftermarket added one

7. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    I had a similar key on an older car (not MB).

The sounder usually has built-in NiCd rechargeable batteries, so that it will continue to sound even if the battery is disconnected (or the power cord feeding it ripped-out).

The key is meant to be used directly on the sounder (though I understand from the post above that in MB's case it is inside the cabin?) and stops it sounding, obviously for cases where the sounder goes wrong and won't quiet down.

8. OP
    OP
    Harleyfan

Harleyfan New Member

Car:
    C180 sport auto 1997
    thats brilliant, thank you, at least i know now. all i need to do now is find it so i know how to turn it off if the alarm sounds. Nothing about it in the manual so i was a bit confused

9. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    Check in the glove box!

Tags: