Help with 03 c220 brakes vibrating?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyBarr

Car
C220 cdi
Hi I am a new user looking for some help/advice
I have just bought a second hand 2003 c220 Cdi coupe and I am having a bit of trouble with the brakes.
There is a lot of vibration through the brake pedal as I brake from any speed, also the N/S rear brake is not doing anything the disc is all rusty and the pad isn't touching.
The discs do look fairly old so I am looking to replace them, but the pads look ok.
Has anybody had this problem before?
What could be causing it?
What should I look out for?

Thanks Andy

You probably have warped discs or a build up of corrosion on the disc surface. Get them replaced with MB parts 0r Pagid.

And do the pads at the same time - nice new brakes all round.

Any ideas on the rear caliper not working?
The rest of the discs are clear, but i would rather just replace them for piece of mind

Hi I am a new user looking for some help/advice
I have just bought a second hand 2003 c220 Cdi coupe and I am having a bit of trouble with the brakes.
There is a lot of vibration through the brake pedal as I brake from any speed, also the N/S rear brake is not doing anything the disc is all rusty and the pad isn't touching.
The discs do look fairly old so I am looking to replace them, but the pads look ok.
Has anybody had this problem before?
What could be causing it?
What should I look out for?

Thanks Andy

Sounds like your discs are warped and also that one of your calipers sounds seized. Take it apart and see if you can free off caliper by cleaning and wd40 and pushing the piston in and forcing it out using brake pedal. Make sure someone is watching the piston as you don't want it coming all the way out completely. If that don't work its either new caliper or strip old one and refurbished it. As for discs replace them and the pads because its not worth putting old pads with new discs as old pads will have formed to the shape of the old discs. Pads and disc aren't expensive .

Sounds like your discs are warped and also that one of your calipers sounds seized. Take it apart and see if you can free off caliper by cleaning and wd40 and pushing the piston in and forcing it out using brake pedal. Make sure someone is watching the piston as you don't want it coming all the way out completely. If that don't work its either new caliper or strip old one and refurbished it. As for discs replace them and the pads because its not worth putting old pads with new discs as old pads will have formed to the shape of the old discs. Pads and disc aren't expensive .

Ha ha started writing this when you had no comments. Soon as id done writing you have several. Plenty info for you then.

Any ideas on the rear caliper not working?
The rest of the discs are clear, but i would rather just replace them for piece of mind

Possobly a seized caliper, either the piston or the sliding mechanism?

Thanks very much everybody
All the info is very helpful
I have found a full set of discs for £50 brand new
Any recommendations on pads?
Thanks for the info on that caliper I will take it all apart tomoro and have a good play with it see if I can get it moving again
First ever MB I have owned and want it to be the first of many :D

One more question, are the calipers pretty straight forward or if I mess about with it will it mess up my abs? Had this problem on one of my other cars the abs decided it didn't want to play anymore after I stripped them down.

I would be wary of a full set of discs for £50 assumoing you meant 4 discs?.That is very cheap. If you look on the Euricarparts site or others you will find Pagid discs and pads are reasonably priced and of good quality.

When changing the discs it is essential to ensure the mating face between the hub and disc is clean or you may get misalignment and judder.

Just be careful with the calpier and make sure you are thorough cleaning the sliding part, it might be worth replacing the pins in case they are damaged. I think Mercedes have a speciific lubricant they use on the sliding part.

Hopefully it is not a stuck piston. If so it might be worth getting a rebuilt / recondiitoned caliper

The £50 was for front and rear pagid discs from that carparts4less.co.uk
No pads included so I will have to source them too
Are pagid OEM for the c220?
Special lubricant? Any idea what this could be?

The £50 was for front and rear pagid discs from that carparts4less.co.uk
No pads included so I will have to source them too
Are pagid OEM for the c220?
Special lubricant? Any idea what this could be?

That is a good price!

Pagid are OE suppliers to a lot of manufacturers and if BlackC55 9a highly respected MB independent) recommends them they will be fine. Might be worth calling your local MB dealer parts department about lubricants for the caliper. I know they have a paste for putting on the pad backing to help reduce noise.

I will take a look into it more tomoro and hopefully fix it :)

Thanks again for the all help

Hi Andy, Are you sure about the price from carparts4less? You do realise the prices shown are for a single disc and not a pair don't you?

I just checked it out and see there are two size options for your car, I looked at the two Pagid discs, front and rear. Same options on the Pagid pads, although the prices on those are per axle.

Front 290mm diameter £25.14 each
Front 330mm diameter £40.74 each

Rear 278mm diameter £21.00 each
Rear 288mm diameter £25.14 each

Make sure you get the right ones to save hassle and problems. Apologies if you realise this and I'm stating the obvious.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom