Help with adblue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W212bluetec177

Car
MERCEDES E220 BLUETEC
Hi all! I'm the owner of a 2015 E220 bluetec , I've had for a year now and it's been fantastic , been to Europe 3 times already and never missed a beat. All this time it had a new valve cover gasket as it was leaking oil and a new water pump. For around a month now it seemed to have stopped using adblue , I do mostly city driving but have been on long motorway journeys and it hasn't used a drop of adblue! Tank is full and when I check the level on the cluster it also shows as full, any ideas what's going on ? No lights or error messages and I've had it scanned around 2 months ago and there weren't any codes stored.

HI,

Do you know for certain that it was using Adblue when you first had it ?

Hi Tode! Yes absolutely! It was filled up last September during its B9 service and I had to top up on one of my European trips , and then all of a sudden it stopped, I've seen somewhere that every 20k miles the tank is supposed to be emptied and refilled with new adblue ? Thank you !

I get the impression that the level sensor must be playing up - if your car was really not using any Adblue I'm pretty sure that you would get the Engine Check light come on rapidly (to signal problem with NOx levels, or Adblue circuit).

On my 221 I have no indication of the Adblue level and so I have to check the level in the tank with a home-made "dipstick" (in reality a piece of clean dowel that I've calibrated) - maybe you could do the same ? On average, the level drops about 4mm every 1000 miles (20 litres last me 17000 miles)

Mercedes had to change the NOx sensors on mine (under garantee) - the first sign of the problem was the ECO stop-start light was no longer turning green, then two days later the Engine light coming on. Does your Stop-start function correctly ?

That's what I've been thinking too surely the engine management light would come on if there was an issue specially something to do with emissions levels ! is your S class the pre facelift ? On mine I have to access the hidden menu on the cluster display and then check the Adblue but it only says full or not full doesn't actually show the percentage. And my eco start stop seems to have a mind of its own , as I tend to drive around town more it's usually yellow , but when I travel on the motorway for a few miles it goes green and stays green until I turn off the engine , but it does sometimes goes green when I'm driving around town too 🤷 , worth mentioning that my car is a 65 reg and still on original batteries

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_080505_compress28.jpg
    IMG_20200705_080505_compress28.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200705_080516_compress56.jpg
    IMG_20200705_080516_compress56.jpg
    571.5 KB · Views: 11
That's what I've been thinking too surely the engine management light would come on if there was an issue specially something to do with emissions levels ! is your S class the pre facelift ? On mine I have to access the hidden menu on the cluster display and then check the Adblue but it only says full or not full doesn't actually show the percentage. And my eco start stop seems to have a mind of its own , as I tend to drive around town more it's usually yellow , but when I travel on the motorway for a few miles it goes green and stays green until I turn off the engine , but it does sometimes goes green when I'm driving around town too 🤷 , worth mentioning that my car is a 65 reg and still on original batteries
How do you access this hidden menu. please?
Mine is a 65 reg e350. I thought I'd found all the menu bits but not aware of this one.
Mine uses about 1 litre od Adblue per thousand miles, Because garages charge far more for Adblue on a service than I can buy it at Halfords I fill it up beforehand and tell the service receptionist. One MB dealer even tried to charge me a "standard charge" for screenwash after I'd told them I'd filled that up as well!

How do you access this hidden menu. please?
Mine is a 65 reg e350. I thought I'd found all the menu bits but not aware of this one.
Mine uses about 1 litre od Adblue per thousand miles, Because garages charge far more for Adblue on a service than I can buy it at Halfords I fill it up beforehand and tell the service receptionist. One MB dealer even tried to charge me a "standard charge" for screenwash after I'd told them I'd filled that up as well!

Shocking!!

Hi Keith , that is shocking! To access the menu, ignition on position 1 then press answer call and OK buttons on steering wheel at the same time for around 5 seconds and menu should pop up , there you can see the voltage, software information , and completely disable the traction control.
Regards

If your Stop/start goes green on a decent run, then I would say your Adblue is definitely working :) .

Mine is a 2011, so post face-lift.

When they were working on the NOx sensors, I got the impression that the "full" signal they got on Star was not to say that the reservoir was actually full, but rather to say that the level was satisfactory for correct operation.

Just as I prefer to use the engine dipstick to check oil level, I prefer to physically check the Adblue level, even if it's a bit of a faff (under spare tyre).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom