Help with apostrophe in names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

I'm having a sign carved out for a 'secret' garden we are converting into a play area for our children.

The Sign will read...

Lily & James Garden

as I am not sure and almost changing it to read Garden for Lily & James

Do I need apostropheys?

Lily and James' Garden is correct

Although I would opt for

"The Secret Garden of Lily and James"

You did have to have a James! Always a difficult one. I like : James', some prefer James's.

I think an apostrophe is correct after the second name, therefore not after Lily...but James is the problem.

No doubt Mocas will be along to advise furhter and say where I've gone wrong.:)

AFAIK where the garden is owned by Lily the apostrophe would be before an s :

Lily's Garden

Where a name ends with an s as in James, the apostrophe goes after the s :

James' Garden

If there were two people called James, then the apostrophe and an s would be used :

James's Garden

Where there are two people with differing names the apostrophe is applied using the rules above to the last person named :

Lily and James' Garden

James and Lily's Garden

HTH

Almost - the possessive form of James is James's.

However, should a secret garden even have a sign... :confused:

How about a secret sign?

Make up some symbols, get them carved onto your sign and tell the kids that it's written in the family language which they will learn themselves one day.

You did have to have a James! Always a difficult one. I like : James', some prefer James's.

I think an apostrophe is correct after the second name, therefore not after Lily...but James is the problem.

No doubt Mocas will be along to advise furhter and say where I've gone wrong.:)

If you insist. :D

The rule about placing an apostrophe after an "s" only applies to plurals, so it should not be applied to singular proper nouns that just happen to end in "s".

Having said that, there are numerous examples of people getting this wrong, most notably St James' Park football ground.

The station in London is correctly named St James's Park, though rumour has it that there are signs spelt both ways on opposite platforms. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If you insist. :D

The rule about placing an apostrophe after an "s" only applies to plurals, so it should not be applies singular proper nouns that just happen to end in "s".

Having said that, there are numerous examples of people getting this wrong, most notably St James' Park football ground.

The station in London is correctly names St James's Park, though rumour has that there are signs spelt both ways on opposite platforms. :rolleyes:

:doh::doh:

Change his name to Ben

If there were two people called James, then the apostrophe and an s would be used :

James's Garden

If there were two people called James, the name would take the plural form with a trailing apostrophe to denote possession. It would also then require a prenominal definite article, thus:

The Jameses' Garden

^ The thing is now we have opened up the extra garden its not that secret...

before...

The normal garden...

DSCF3740.jpg

Then beyond this...
09b0fdd7.jpg

So a bit less secret now...

2960a2a5.jpg

Still a lot to do, fences to fit, arch way, gates, rubber play pellets, ooh and the playarea...

Should it even have a sign... being secret...

Good call, this always makes be laugh and quite near us to

secret-bunker.jpg

I'm not offering any signage suggestions for your garden :)

So... is this correct...

Lily and James' Garden

or

Lily and James's Garden

Sorry.

If there were two people called James, the name would take the plural form with a trailing apostrophe to denote possession. It would also then require a prenominal definite article, thus:

The Jameses' Garden

yes U R rite, evry day's a skul day, evn 25 yr's l8r ! :p

Mocas needs to get out more ...

... but without his camera and instructions not to look at number plates.

Thank you.

I will maybe do a Garden make over post...

The stuff my dad an I have moved / cleared to get this to the stage it is at now is amazing... (Dads done 75% !!)

Even the cars been helping... as the trailer gave up.

photo2-3.jpg

photo4-3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom