Help , with auto info ,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolfgray

Car
C200k SC
Hi
Still new to Mercedes Benz and auto cars generally,
When I was at a track day I found a odd problem.
I was holding the brake on revs are locked 2k
If I am in N it is free and all I wanted is to do a burnout with my dead tyres
and maybe get a better start of the line .
Am I missing something?
Thanks
D

That's not the auto box, that's the traction control. - It's sensing that the wheels are going to spin and cutting the throttle for you (it may also be applying the brakes).

You should have a button marked <ESP> somewhere; that will allow you to turn the stability control off so that the wheels can spin, but it doesn't completely disable the traction control.
You might be able to disable it more by putting the car in to dynamometer mode, but I don't know how you do that on your car.

You might have to accept that you can't really do a tyre smoking burn-out in your C-Class, and settle for holding the brake with your left foot and the accelerator with your right; stomp hard on the brake, then apply accelerator until it starts trying to creep forward. When the lights go green, stomp the accelerator and lift off the brake. - My CLK will light-up the rear axle, but it doesn't really do a burn-out.

I think Mercedes philosophy is that nobody who buys their cars would want to do anything as loutish as a burnout, but AMG customers may be permitted this indulgence. ;-)

I am more than happy with that, more so I know it's not me or a fault but just the electric over lords strangling the revs,
I might not get on a track for a year and 99.9% of the time I drive slower than my wife in a scenic lol.
Just all the eclectic gizmos make my old focus seem like Fred Flintstones car,

I had a similar revelation. - It's little things like the passenger-side mirror tilting to point at the rear wheel when you reverse in to a parking spot. Or they way distronic just keeps you the same amount of time from the car in front, even if they slow right down.

I'll be honest. I know it's the traction control because I tried stomping on the accelerator to peel away, and discovered that the throttle just cuts as soon as the wheels start to spin (and the little exclamation mark flashes on the dashboard) . I tried without ESP on, and the car wants to go sideways.

This time of year, with summer tyres on cold, wet, roads, the traction control is working pretty hard.

I would guarantee you that just slamming down the accelerator would give you a getaway thats 99% as quick as holding it against the brakes, but without all the strain on the torque converter and driveline.

Also, you won't cook the transmission oil.

Each horsepower is about 750 watts, so when you are stalling the converter, the full output of the engine (if the electronics didn't intervene) will be going into the fluid....say 750 watts x (say) 200HP = 150,000watts! All that heat has gotta go somewhere, so it starts cooking the fluid and transmission internals...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom