Help with Becker GPS and satellite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Surreygraham

Car
C class coupe 2014
Hi everyone.

Before I give up and visit a dealer can anyone help me sort out my sat nav please. Sorry it’s a bit long!

I have the dreaded Becker module in the glove compartment of my 2014 C class coupe which I bought privately without checking the sat nav was working properly.

The original problem was the maps were showing but no satellites and the position never moved. I have spent hours now trying to sort out the software and now have a reset device which is showing the maps - all wasted time it seems.

Unfortunately following the last reset it is showing my position as Frankfurt and still no satellites.

As the original problem was the lack of satellites I am now checking the gps aerial (roof mounted shark fin).

All posts tell me it routes behind the passenger side (uk) trim. Took that off and nothing to be seen apart from the rear light cluster wiring. So now I’m stuck.

Is there a hidden menu somewhere that I can use to check if satellite signals are being received?
If not where does the shark fin cable routing go so that I can check for loose connections?
if all else fails do I really have to remove the front display or Audio 20 unit to fix a replacement aerial?

Any help will be much appreciated as I’m tearing what little hair I have left out.......

There is probably a connector at the shark fin end.

Cannot see any connector at the shark fin end on those photos and I don't think there should be on an original MB antenna.

I'm not familiar with this Becker module but usually MB navigation menus have an entry showing GPS coordinates where it also shows the number of detected satellites. If the number is 0, the car is unlikely under open sky. If it reads "-", it means the wiring is broken.

Unfortunately the MB GPS antennas are prone to fail on so many different models that have quite different antenna designs. Like the W211 pre-facelift antenna on the top part of the rear window, the facelift antenna on top of the roof as well as the S211 antenna hidden at the top of the tail gate. The early W213 GPS antenna (on the wing mirror) failed during the first year almost all etc. etc.

Welcome.

I am not sure if the BMP unit is at fault or the GPS antenna, but sadly the dealer won't help you much - it's a non-starter I'm afraid.

If you could perhaps try and find somewhere with a BMP unit (they were fitted to various MB cars as entry-level navigation option between 2010 and 2015), then you could swap the units around between the two cars to see if the issue is with the BMP processor or with the Antenna.

Thanks for the replies. It’s showing 0 satellites rather than just “-“ so maybe the wiring is ok and it’s the unit. I’ll see if I can find someone with a working one to try.

Hi Graham, I have a similar problem did you get to the bottom of this issue?

Hi Graham, I have a similar problem did you get to the bottom of this issue?
Hi,
Yes. I installed a new satellite receiver under the dash
To do that I removed the glove box to get to the back of the Becker unit and I unplugged the old one, connected a new one and all was good.
Under £20 of parts from Amazon. You just need the receiver and the right connector.

Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom