Help with C230K 1997 air condtioning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

idrisk

Help with C230K 1997

Hello, I am new to the world of Mercedes. I am planning to buy a Merc C230K on a 1997 plate for £4.5k, with 57000 on the clock. Everything about the car is ok except it does not have A/C .

Can I get an A/C unit installed ? does anybody have any ideas about this and also of approx. cost.

thanks
idrisk

Help with C230K 1997 air condtioning

I have posted this in the general forum too.

Hello, I am new to the world of Mercedes. I am planning to buy a Merc C230K on a 1997 plate for £4.5k, with 57000 on the clock. Everything about the car is ok except it does not have A/C .

Can I get an A/C unit installed ? does anybody have any ideas about this and also of approx. cost.

thanks
idrisk

Hi there,

It would not be financially worthwhile to have A/C retrofitted - the cost would be at the very least very high £££s, most likely £1000+ easily. If it is a major point in choosing a car, I would be inclined to look for another example that has A/C already installed (and check that it is working properly! ;) )

Good luck with the search :)

Will

standard or extra ?

Thanks Will, I would have thought that AC was standard though ? Do you know if A/C is standard or is it a optional extra ?

thanks

Will is right... a/c is extra. If you really want a/c then you are better off looking for another C230K as retrofitting whilst not impossible is prohibitively expensive. To fit a/c into a non a/c car requires ripping out most of the front dashboard as the heater matrix has to be changed. The centre console controllers are different and then of course you need to fit all the extra parts in the engine bay such as condensor, compressor etc.

Take a look at MBenzNL's web site to get an idea of how much work is involved, he fitted climate control but the a/c option would involve the same amount of work.

S.

Last edited:
thanks

Thanks for that guys. To have A/c or Not to have A/C that is the question !!??!!.

To get it retro fitted is out of the question.

What do you think about the car price . A C230 kompressor silver, updated alloys, 57k, 1997, black leather, full MBSH, automatic.

I am thinking to buy it and use over the winter and come summer time try and get another one with A/C . What do you think ?

I think you will loose too much money doing that. I would wait for the right one to come along with aircon.

nice

Hi Thmsshaun, just had a look at your merc it looks really nice.

Why do you think I would be loosing out too much money if I was to buy it know and sell it in say a yrs time ?

by the way does your merc have A/C. Do I really need A/C, is it an important factor to consider when buying a Merc. ?

Last edited:
Just seems silly to by a car and the sell it purely to get one with aircon when you can get on with aircon from the outset.

When I got the C180 it didnt have aircon and I regretted it. I always swore every car I have will have air con. The C43 has the digital climate control.

I wouldnt buy another one without and how many people may think the same?

Unless you were going to get the 230 then in a years time trade it for a C43 :cool:

idrisk said:
Hi Thmsshaun, just had a look at your merc it looks really nice.

Shaun

Hi & welcome to the forum.

The picture hasn't worked, I also think the car is not worth buying if you want Air con. Cars always lose money no matter what you do. Trying to sell on a car without Aircon in summer will definitely lose you money.

If you want Air con wait for it.

If you want a car with A/C then buy one. To use MB parts and have them fitted would cost more than the car. To use a third-party 'aftermarket' installation would (in my opinion) make the car virtually unsaleable.

If you want to proceed, take a look here

Well i say its sounds like a good price for the car.
And befor i brought my car just over a year ago
i really wanted A/C but didnt get it but i had it in my old car
and very very rarely used it and dont miss it now.

I've got to say - my currrent C230K has air con, but it wasn't functioning properly until I fitted a new condensor, receiver/drier and had the system properly overhauled. Black leather and no air con is silly. What's the point in buying such a nice car if you can't be comfortable on a hot day, especially as there should be many out there with the spec you are looking for.

As soon as I got the air con properly serviced, it was like driving in a new dimension of comfort, can't do without it IMO :)

As a little plug and side note, I may possibly be selling my own car soon -a pretty nicely specced and good condition C230K, sport model with 5-spd auto, air con, heated seats, full leather etc etc. PM me if interested :cool:

Good luck :)

Will

idrisk said:
I have posted this in the general forum too...
Posts on a single subject really should not be posted multiple times across separate Sections!! It's classed as spam and the mods take a dim view of it.
thumbdown.gif
On this occasion we'll let you off ;) :)

Please post just the once and in the relevant section.
xyxthumbs.gif

Moving to Electronics Section & 2 threads merged... :)

S.

p.s. Here's another thread discussing the same topic... http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18721&highlight=air*

Last edited:
Apologies

Hi, thanks to all for their replys and references and apologies for the double posting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom