Help with code interpretation, please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swotty

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2003 CL600
Hi,

W215 2003 CL600 TT

Sorry, me again!

Have a friend who bought a more sophisticated Mercedes code reader than mine - does the whole car rather than just the engine. It's short of STAR capability, but I have lost all confidence in the MB dealer with whom I've spent quite a lot of money and they couldn't find the problem with the fuel pressure regulator for almost 3 months ..... the chief mechanic/technician is also a moody and miserable sod.

Have had an engine misfire from time to time over the past (almost) 3 years I've had the car, and it normally goes away, but this time it's not going.

Codes showing are:

P0410 (secondary air pump?) Consequence of the FPR replacement or ****-up? Is this a big job? DIY?

P2003 ???

P0300 4 times
P0308 x2
P0305 x2
P0303 x2

I know the latter are all misfires, but do these codes point to a coil or engine management unit, do you think?

Car has done 55,000 miles and serviced on time.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stuart

Hi,

W215 2003 CL600 TT

Sorry, me again!

Have a friend who bought a more sophisticated Mercedes code reader than mine - does the whole car rather than just the engine. It's short of STAR capability, but I have lost all confidence in the MB dealer with whom I've spent quite a lot of money and they couldn't find the problem with the fuel pressure regulator for almost 3 months ..... the chief mechanic/technician is also a moody and miserable sod.

Have had an engine misfire from time to time over the past (almost) 3 years I've had the car, and it normally goes away, but this time it's not going.

Codes showing are:

P0410 (secondary air pump?) Consequence of the FPR replacement or ****-up? Is this a big job? DIY?

P2003 ???

P0300 4 times
P0308 x2
P0305 x2
P0303 x2

I know the latter are all misfires, but do these codes point to a coil or engine management unit, do you think?

Car has done 55,000 miles and serviced on time.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stuart

Stuart
Greetings

If you were a caller mentioning these problems I would say "well I would need to see that car to do some live data interrogation on it and put it on an exhaust gas analyser to see what's coming out of the tail pipe".

But that stated! Based upon what you have posted I would be doing a bit of rumination & star gazing and I don't mean with an MB scanner!

P0410 Yes, it is related to the air pump and its injection of secondary air into the exhaust system where the O2 sensors (Lambdas) see a change in state in oxygen content of the gas and trim fuel accordingly plus of course light the cats up to burn contaminants. Like in a prolonged off throttle cruise down to a traffic stop. Gas density goes up and needs oxygen to fire it off!
The question boils down to why? Is it actually switching to physically to blow air and is not being "seen" or is physically inoperative..

P2003
Is a generic code referring to a diesel particulate filter !!!????:doh:

Code Description
P2003 Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2) :devil:

Your code reader has got it slightly wrong but I bet you have a cat efficiency issue on bank 2.
Not surprising since you have reported air pump issue and the cat can't light it up properly!
Is that because its plugged up? Is it because the internal "brick" catalyst has been scorched by excess fuel being dumped down the pipes.
Remember nothing will take a cat out faster than prolonged use of a petrol (gasoline) engine with prolonged misfire conditions and fuel in excess density going down the exhaust pipes into the cats.
By your own testimony you have been driving it with a developing misfire issue and that points to a contingent cat(s) problem in the making.
The other codes refer to misfires on cylinder 2, 3 and 5..

So to fix it means having a scan tool on it that can report some live data.
I would suspect the coils are breaking down or the plugs themselves are the worn, contaminated, wrong grade or type--(don't laugh it sometimes happens! ) AND of course the air filter--Oh the air filter and induction system! the cause of so many engine related problems.

I hope that gives you some food for thought.
You might want to consider changing your car's service provider.
As a past factory zone rep and service engineer dealer are only as good as the folk that work in them. Factory scanners and fancy buildings don't always equate to a fancy outcome!--except with the bill maybe!
Dennis
Tuerca Viejas
State appointed emission repair shop owner

The P2003 relates to the P0410 Secondary Air Pump, you really need to get a decent scanner on your car as a generic reader will only produce generic results.

It could just be that the pump has died. Mine sites right at the front-top of the engine.

The P2003 relates to the P0410 Secondary Air Pump, you really need to get a decent scanner on your car as a generic reader will only produce generic results.

It could just be that the pump has died. Mine sites right at the front-top of the engine.

You can use a generic reader for more than just pull codes remember.
So don't discount the cheapy unit as no good!

I use one as a "canary in the coal mine" to ensure some moron hasn't ill wired the DLC connector through the radio connection which will take out an expensive scanner.
Remember MB uses the radio in same cases as the Can Bus gateway as well.

Secondly you can get an idea of which OBD 2 monitors are closed or open. Which is the window into what is at fault and putting the CE light on
Simply select monitors or I/M 240 readiness.
Then read off which are open.
First there will undoubtedly be a miss fire monitor open on this vehicle in this case.
Then the Cat monitor will be an indication of the secondary air pump as well as the maybe the secondary evaps system monitor.

If you are confident you have fixed it--Don't clear the codes and open all the rest! Simply drive it and after a few key on successful colds soak starts the light will go out on its own.
All easy stuff.
Amistades
Tuercas Viejas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom