Help with Insulating a stud wall and U values??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello,

I am in the process of converting a garage that we don't use into a play room / study area..

The garage is attached to our house and the next house via his garage. We have studdied out the walls and I have 50mm gaps between the stud framework.

I have on order polestirine sheets 50mm thick and platerboard 12.5 mm thick. I also have left over from doing the loft insulation two rolls of rock wool.

Here is my slight dilema.........

Rang Building regulations today as they have already checked the opening and beam we have had put into the garage from the hall. I then mentioned the stud work which I have previosly with a different chap..who is on leave..and he never mentioned U vlaues etc see below..

New chap says the wall attached to next doors garage (non cavity wall) needs to have an insulation U value of less than 3...

This doesn't mean much to be as I cannot find out the U value for 50mm polestirine sheet, 12.5mm plaster and skim...

Do I need to fit thicker insulation? rock wool? insulated platerboard on top of the polistirine?

The room (garage) basically has a stud wall within it, will have two radiators, flat roof and concreate floor which we are planning to have thick underlay with a thick carpet.

Any advice helpful, as I'm attacking room this weekend :) :)

Hello,

I am in the process of converting a garage that we don't use into a play room / study area..

The garage is attached to our house and the next house via his garage. We have studdied out the walls and I have 50mm gaps between the stud framework.

I have on order polestirine sheets 50mm thick and platerboard 12.5 mm thick. I also have left over from doing the loft insulation two rolls of rock wool.

Here is my slight dilema.........

Rang Building regulations today as they have already checked the opening and beam we have had put into the garage from the hall. I then mentioned the stud work which I have previosly with a different chap..who is on leave..and he never mentioned U vlaues etc see below..

New chap says the wall attached to next doors garage (non cavity wall) needs to have an insulation U value of less than 3...

This doesn't mean much to be as I cannot find out the U value for 50mm polestirine sheet, 12.5mm plaster and skim...

Do I need to fit thicker insulation? rock wool? insulated platerboard on top of the polistirine?

The room (garage) basically has a stud wall within it, will have two radiators, flat roof and concreate floor which we are planning to have thick underlay with a thick carpet.

Any advice helpful, as I'm attacking room this weekend :) :)

If I post you a copy of the building regs with the figures in will you please let me have it back

You should be able to look up the product on the web and get the U value for it there.

Building regs doc L here

Its a pig and half the building control officers we speak to don't seem to understand it..

Speak to Kingspan technical and they will design it for you.

Ade

Hello

Thanks all,

Malcolm the builder is here on Monday so probably too late...

I did ask mr building regs whats the difference if its approved or not and it basicaly means if its approved we are able to call it a room and list it in the details when we sell. Not being approved it cannot be mentioned.

Too be honest I'm not over bothered if it cannot be called a room on the details. I do however want it to work as we want so to me its more important it looks right when you walk in.

Thanks for the help guys

Thinking of this from the comfort angle, I would have just fitted vertical 50mm battens and infilled with 50mm Kunspan foil backed or normal and a polyurethane membrane for damp and that would be somewhere near the figure that you need as 500 Kungspan is equal to 100 of glass fiber

Plaster board also brings the U value down by 0.013

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom