Help with possible ESL issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

such01

SUPPORTER
Car
E350 CDI W212
I had an issue with a dead dashboard a couple of weeks ago - the key turned but no lights on Dash. Internal electrics are all fine.
I swapped to spare and it worked fine. I took the original key apart cleaned it with contact cleaner / changed the battery but still a dead dash.
I tried it again a few hours later prior to the arrival of the AA and it worked! The AA chap suggested it was either EIS or ESL and recommended a local chap who could check keys and perhaps fix it if it is the ESL.
I took it to be checked - he said the keys were fine but the steering lock was not engaging - in fact, there are no noises/whirring when placing the key in the ignition.
He suggested a fix for the ESL whereby the motor is replaced and it's booked in for Friday this week.
It's been working fine with the original key until this morning when the original key stopped working but the spare key worked.

My conundrum is - shall I get the ESL fixed if this is the problem or is it likely to be anything else.
My ESL is stuck open & I understand this is the best situation compared to if it is stuck locked.

I posted this on the "other side" and it seems I don't have an ESL but do have a clutch module for the power steering lock

1652800665765.png1652800679912.png

Any suggestions most welcome - Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom