help with potential choices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
German oil burner
As much as I love the little polo (even after the turbo went pop), I'm thinking of changing it by the end of the year as I've now grown a little bored of it. I still do moon miles so it'll have to be a diesel for now, but i'm in no hurry so i'm gonna be scanning around for some time.

So I ask the panel what they think of the following;

BMW 123d (TT)
VW Scirocco tdi 2.0L
C220 cdi (W204)

The W204 i'd get would have to be a prefacelift one and be quite basic

The VW may also have to be quite basic but the one i drove last saturday was bloody fantastic even though it had almost no extras. Still yet to drive the bmw/merc. A bit worried about the space in the bmw, and a bit skeptical about the merc's consumption figures - but i know merc always understate

the budget is 12k

What do you all think? any personal experiences shared would be much appreciated

Wife had a 123 d M Sport coupe. Fantastic fun car. I have a facelift C250 and the two are totally different. In sport mode its closer to the BMW for fun factor. Either are good cars- the Merc probablyeasier to live with day to day the BM fun but longer term maybe a bit tiring.

Adam230K said:
As much as I love the little polo (even after the turbo went pop), I'm thinking of changing it by the end of the year as I've now grown a little bored of it. I still do moon miles so it'll have to be a diesel for now, but i'm in no hurry so i'm gonna be scanning around for some time.

So I ask the panel what they think of the following;

BMW 123d (TT)
VW Scirocco tdi 2.0L
C220 cdi (W204)

The W204 i'd get would have to be a prefacelift one and be quite basic

The VW may also have to be quite basic but the one i drove last saturday was bloody fantastic even though it had almost no extras. Still yet to drive the bmw/merc. A bit worried about the space in the bmw, and a bit skeptical about the merc's consumption figures - but i know merc always understate

the budget is 12k

What do you all think? any personal experiences shared would be much appreciated

Only driven the BMW as I had it as a loan car. Good drive but your right very tight in the back only really suitable for kids or short journeys if adults are aboard.

I can't really comment on the cars listed, but are you referring to your 137bhp Polo? If so, I would like some more information (if you don't mind) please as I would want a car like that for a runaround.

I can't really comment on the cars listed, but are you referring to your 137bhp Polo? If so, I would like some more information (if you don't mind) please as I would want a car like that for a runaround.

sure we can do it in via pm

first choice would be the Scirocco, new, nice & fun

but the BMW will go like stink

but i just really like the look of the Scirocco

What about a Skoda Octavia. More space, less cost than the VW. You should be able to get a VRs 170 bhp TDi version for that money.

The sirocco is wrong wheel drive...out!!!

The C class is a nicer car than the 1er but get a sport. Per facelift is nice and rhe non BE engine the more proven one with long term running proven in other merc models.

A 123d would be fun. What about a 320d Msport, this is a direct rival to the C class and I car I rate very highly. I've only driven c320cdi but I rate the C class highly too

As much as its known that skodas and leons are basically VW's I don't like the feel of them when sitting in the car, the interiors don't feel great (i must be getting old?) and aren't as nice to drive, this is just my opinion though.

Scirocco is definitely wrong wheel drive but it was a bloody nice drive at that! Was shocked at how much better it is than an A3!

I'm trying to avoid bmw's other diesels because i hear nothing but horror stories about them, sounds silly i know, the 123d is a more complex engine, but just from what i've read they seem to be more reliable and solid. And out of the 3 it will be the one I won't have to remap because its supposed to be a very capable little car

The 3 series is always rated high... if i'm going to be honest i'm afraid of test driving it because i might actually like it more than I want to! a 323d might not be a bad idea, will have to have a look

Test the 3 series it's an outstanding car. Anyone who says otherwise either hasn't driven one or is not a car person.

They don't do a 323d but if you modify the 320d to remove the swirl flap mechanism and change the crank case breather and the seals on the turbo it will be ok.

The C220 is also worth a look to be honest as the C class is also an excellent car.

Ford Mondeo is a great car to drive too. Less common than a BMW 3 series. Whilst I agree RWD is the ideal - it loses out to FWD in the snow without winter tyres.

crockers said:
Ford Mondeo is a great car to drive too. Less common than a BMW 3 series. Whilst I agree RWD is the ideal - it loses out to FWD in the snow without winter tyres.

Guess it comes down to point of view but if something is more common than something else it wouldn't put me off. I was skeptical about the press raving about the 3 series but it is a monumentally good car and IMHO a nicer size of car than the Mondeo

Test the 3 series it's an outstanding car. Anyone who says otherwise either hasn't driven one or is not a car person.

They don't do a 323d but if you modify the 320d to remove the swirl flap mechanism and change the crank case breather and the seals on the turbo it will be ok.

The C220 is also worth a look to be honest as the C class is also an excellent car.

Although there is no 323D, there is the Alpina D3. Well worth a look.

W2-- said:
Although there is no 323D, there is the Alpina D3. Well worth a look.

Rare but agreed and Alpina handling etc will be to die for

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom