Help with Residuals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveatpipex

Car
CLK 270 and BMW Z4 with a VFR750 sadly off the road
Hi all, some help and guidance please - I am in the happy position of being able to buy another car and having always been a BMW guy am not so pleased with their current offerings.

I am tempted by 2 entirely different cars in the Merc range - the CLK 270 D or perhaps an SLK 200. I have a budget of around £30,000. My head is saying go for the CLK but my heart is saying go for the SLK.

I've seen what appears to be an excellent deal on a CLK Avantgarde- 55 plate 9000 miles and fully loaded - COMAND, sports pack, leather, Memory/heated seats, Telephone, CD Changer etc etc. The asking price is £28,500 from a private sale. - is it as good as it seems?

Of the two cars, which has better residual?

May seem simple questions to you but I'm not (yet!) familiar with the world of Mercedes.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: PJH
You haven't said whether the 270CDi is manual or automatic. Automatic MBs tend to keep their value better.

Others on this forum will be able to tell you more about the two models. you've picked a quiet day to ask the question. What I can tell you is that the 270CDi will give you better overtaking ability and will be fairly close to the slk200 in the traditional 0-60 dash.

Only you can answer the question of which do you think is the more attractive car but the value for money choice is likely to be the CLK.

Reactions: PJH
Thanks for that - sorry yes its the automatic version

Yes Steve, it is quiet on here today ...

Don't be disheartened .... as soon as people start logging on , they will answer your question ....

Questions like this can sometimes stimulate some heated debate ;)

Be patient , the answers will come, they aren't all ignoring you ! :)

Personally, i can't help, i'm an older merc guy myself , but good luck !

55 plated cars will be valued in trade books from next month onwards. That said, judging by the values given for the 05 plated models, currently the CLK looses more money than the SLK. Both are valued at around £26k trade but the CLK cost about £4000 more to buy. Note that current monthly depreciation hovers around £350-£400 per month.

Interesting choice of cars - what decided in favour of those two ? They are totally different.

I know you've stated auto - but I hope they both have metallic paint and leather as well - otherwise walk away. That will make a huge difference.

best bet is go for a drive in both and see which you prefer to drive....then buy the SLK, obviously!

scumbag said:
best bet is go for a drive in both and see which you prefer to drive....then buy the SLK, obviously!
Don't listen to Scumbag ;) you really want the CLK.
Besides you can take the family in it!
Not that I'm biased or anything.
Mac

machasm said:
Don't listen to Scumbag ;) you really want the CLK.
Besides you can take the family in it!
Not that I'm biased or anything.
Mac

you biased pig:p . i am totally unbaised;) . i said go in both and buy the SLK. you just think that a diesel will be as good as yours....bear in mind that no matter what deisel engine you have, it dont sound like a V8.:rock:

in fairness. i think that if you need 4 seats, deisel econmy coupled to decent performfamnce but dont want a saloon, then the CLK is the way to go. if you can cope with 2 seat and a small boot. you get a roadster that has reasonable performance in the 200 guise with the topless summer driving.:)

so i suppose that might be a slightly more unbiased opinion...however the SLK is the one to buy.....just chop up the 3rd person and hide them under the patio.:devil:

I got my family in mine the other week...all one niece! the other 5 got the citroen belingo! no wonder i am favorite uncle to one young girl. and that miserable old man to the others.:mad:

steveatpipex said:
Hi all, some help and guidance please - I am in the happy position of being able to buy another car and having always been a BMW guy am not so pleased with their current offerings.

I am tempted by 2 entirely different cars in the Merc range - the CLK 270 D or perhaps an SLK 200. I have a budget of around £30,000. My head is saying go for the CLK but my heart is saying go for the SLK.

I've seen what appears to be an excellent deal on a CLK Avantgarde- 55 plate 9000 miles and fully loaded - COMAND, sports pack, leather, Memory/heated seats, Telephone, CD Changer etc etc. The asking price is £28,500 from a private sale. - is it as good as it seems?

Of the two cars, which has better residual?

May seem simple questions to you but I'm not (yet!) familiar with the world of Mercedes.

Thanks

2005 05 plate CLK 270d is booking at just under £26000 trade with 12000 miles therefore you can assume that a 55 plate will be around 27000 trade so if this car you have seen is a minter & in the right colour (silver, black or blue) then it is worth all of the £28500 being asked but that still wouldnt stop me from making a much lower offer because you never know your luck also get it HPi'd make sure it isnt on finance or damaged repaired.

Of the two cars you mention i would imagine the SLK would have slightly better residuals then the CLK but its marginal and at the end of the day its your personal choice which of two to go for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom