Help with SL 63 AMG technology

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Losnardos

Car
SL 63 AMG
Just bought a 2013 SL 63 AMG, which is a fabulous car but I need help with some of the technology:
1. When cruising the engine management system is supposed to shut down 4 of the 8 cylinders to improve fuel economy. How do I activate this? Tried pressing the "Eco" button but all that does is activate the stop start.
2. I have tried to load the Digital Owners Manual on the command system (previous owner had not done it). I get as far as "insert disc" with an "OK" button below it but it won't let me insert the disc. Any ideas?
3. The boot lid keeps closing when I am loading stuff in the boot. I have tried kicking my leg near the rear bumper, as the manual suggests, but it makes no difference. Any ideas?
4. There are two stowage compartments behind the seats. The one on the passenger side has a catch and can be opened. The one behind the driver has no catch and will not open. Any ideas?
Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Think the cylinder shut down should be automatic depending on how heavy you are with the accelerator.
My SLK55 has this and it works on its own depending on load on the car ,ie heavy acceleration disables 4 cylinder mode and reverts back to 8 cylinders.
Wont de-activate cylinders if your in sport mode though ,only when in mode "c". Comfort mode that is.

Item 4.

Only one side is a cubby box, the other contains items pertinent to the running of the vehicle. ECU's or similar and is not accessible.

Think the cylinder shut down should be automatic depending on how heavy you are with the accelerator.
My SLK55 has this and it works on its own depending on load on the car ,ie heavy acceleration disables 4 cylinder mode and reverts back to 8 cylinders.
Wont de-activate cylinders if your in sport mode though ,only when in mode "c". Comfort mode that is.

Exactly. Plus the display should read ECO8 when running on all cylinders and ECO4 when taking it easy - if it has the facility. For what it's worth, I thought only the M152 SKL55 engine had selective cylinder shutdown.....

Exactly. Plus the display should read ECO8 when running on all cylinders and ECO4 when taking it easy - if it has the facility. For what it's worth, I thought only the M152 SKL55 engine had selective cylinder shutdown.....

Yeah, I'm sure that the M152 has been the only AMG engine to have cylinder deactivation before this year's new E63. There's a good article about the engine on the AMG Private Lounge.

I was disappointed not to have it on the C63, as I could get over 30mpg on the SLK55 on a run without really trying.

RR

Looks like he has gone elsewhere for his answers anyway...!

Yeah, I'm sure that the M152 has been the only AMG engine to have cylinder deactivation before this year's new E63. There's a good article about the engine on the AMG Private Lounge.

I was disappointed not to have it on the C63, as I could get over 30mpg on the SLK55 on a run without really trying.

RR

I must say I am pleased with the cylinder shut down.
On a tour of Scotland I got 34 mpg on the first leg to Aberdeen easily and still averaged about 30mpg after taking in some more vigorous driving through the Cairngorms and some of the other fantastic roads up there.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom