Help with SLK for sale in Bradford....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Hi all - long time no post!

SuzyCute quite fancies an SLK (appropriate I should be posting today as it is 9 years since I met her at the infamous Torquay GTG in 2007! Who remembers Maff's growly Aston, the luxurious Anchorage Hotel and cars smelling vaguely like a chip shop!)

Is there a member local to Bradford (BD7 1QG) who would mind popping along asap and taking a general look please at one for sale at Central Motors. Not looking for a full engineers report (although that would be good Ian/Flango.... lol) More that given the age it looks tidy, no bangs/rattles, no extensive rust and that the service history is documented, then we can pop along ourselves.
i.e. Looks brilliant/worth a look/STAY AWAY!

Appreciated

If it is the blue one, a couple of comments...

I had one in that blue - looks absolutely fantastic.
Only a 200. Surprisingly nippy. You won't be short on power, I'm sure. However I think the 200 only has a simplex timing chain.

Aftermarket stereo. Make sure it picks up radio stations cleanly as not all of them have been set up with the aerial amp connected.

Those are the basic wheels. They are a good shade if silver but do look cheap on an slk.

The cabin should be as quiet as a hard top with no squeaks or rattles.

Check the brake lights/indicators etc are full brightness as they can get a bad connection where the bulb holder connects to the circuit board.

Check for rust around the boot handle, and front wheel arches.

Check the PSE pump isn't damp - you will need to take out the spare and jack, but they DO get wet.

Put the heater on full blast. They can vibrate noisily. I guess it is the bearings.

That's about it. We had ours for around seven years. I don't recall anything going wrong with it (apart from the rear bulb and PSE which I dried out) and all it ever had was basic servicing at home (SUPER easy to do)

Cracking little car. SuzyCute will love it.

Many thanks for taking the time to write that Ted. What is PSE????

Also going to look at a 200K R171 tonight as it's fairly close to us - not sure if our budget will stretch to it though unless he goes mad with trade-in on her A-Class!

The R170 is a bit far to just pop by, hence asking if someone is local and able to take a look

Always loved this forum - helps me with Mercs and even gave me a wife!

If it is the blue one, a couple of comments...

I had one in that blue - looks absolutely fantastic.
Only a 200. Surprisingly nippy. You won't be short on power, I'm sure. However I think the 200 only has a simplex timing chain.

Aftermarket stereo. Make sure it picks up radio stations cleanly as not all of them have been set up with the aerial amp connected.

Those are the basic wheels. They are a good shade if silver but do look cheap on an slk.

The cabin should be as quiet as a hard top with no squeaks or rattles.

Check the brake lights/indicators etc are full brightness as they can get a bad connection where the bulb holder connects to the circuit board.

Check for rust around the boot handle, and front wheel arches.

Check the PSE pump isn't damp - you will need to take out the spare and jack, but they DO get wet.

Put the heater on full blast. They can vibrate noisily. I guess it is the bearings.

That's about it. We had ours for around seven years. I don't recall anything going wrong with it (apart from the rear bulb and PSE which I dried out) and all it ever had was basic servicing at home (SUPER easy to do)

Cracking little car. SuzyCute will love it.

PSE is the central locking pump.
It is next to the jack (which is to the right of the spare wheel) and is in a sort of foam rubber case which is perfect for soaking up the water that gets in the boot when (not if) the drains get blocked.

If you are looking at one, it is definitely worth checking this. :thumb::thumb:

I recall reading on here (I think) that Bradford was an area to avoid when buying used cars.

I recall reading on here (I think) that Bradford was an area to avoid when buying used cars.

Me too, which is another reason why I don't want to make a special trip of 1.5 hours plus if someone is very local and can take a lookover

Ours has been excellent for a number of years, I'd look out for:

Creaking from the roof, ours always has done.

Marks around the handbrake, the paint peels on some, ours is a cream colour and has peeled/chipped badly.

Rear light clusters break down and need replacing, don't be fobbed off with 'it's just a bulb'.

Err, that's about it really.

Thanks anyway but not needed now as SuzyCute picking up a R171 on Saturday!!

Hi all - long time no post!

SuzyCute quite fancies an SLK (appropriate I should be posting today as it is 9 years since I met her at the infamous Torquay GTG in 2007! Who remembers Maff's growly Aston, the luxurious Anchorage Hotel and cars smelling vaguely like a chip shop!)

Is there a member local to Bradford (BD7 1QG) who would mind popping along asap and taking a general look please at one for sale at Central Motors. Not looking for a full engineers report (although that would be good Ian/Flango.... lol) More that given the age it looks tidy, no bangs/rattles, no extensive rust and that the service history is documented, then we can pop along ourselves.
i.e. Looks brilliant/worth a look/STAY AWAY!

Appreciated

I remember a thread some years ago, can't remember if on here or other side were a member went to view a car at a prestige car garage in Bradford, they sold top end used stuff Bentley, AML, Lambo etc he agreed a deal on a car and noted its nice new tyres, when he went to pick the car up the tyres had been taken off and replaced with barely legal part worns, I think other stuff had been swapped as well, of course he ran a mile:eek:

Gollom said:
Thanks anyway but not needed now as SuzyCute picking up a R171 on Saturday!!

Yay!! Photos will be obligatory.
Really pleased for you both :)

Make sure the top goes down!!!! No point in a convertible that doesn't convert! Will we have a drive in company to perhaps Barton Grange garden centre for lunch on Sunday? What colour is the one SusieCute has bought? Very pleased she has taken the plunge. L

Edited to add: please always flash lights and wave when you see me! I usually only wave to R170s and on,y ever had a reaction once.

Last edited:
Just watch the film Rita Sue and Bob too or the series Band of Gold. Tells you everything you ever need to know about Bradford lol :)

Make sure the top goes down!!!! No point in a convertible that doesn't convert! Will we have a drive in company to perhaps Barton Grange garden centre for lunch on Sunday? What colour is the one SusieCute has bought? Very pleased she has taken the plunge. L

Edited to add: please always flash lights and wave when you see me! I usually only wave to R170s and on,y ever had a reaction once.

That sounds fantastic Lisa - let's hope rain stays away! 12 sound good for you? Do we meet there or go in convoy? lol! I'll text you my number

It's Obsidian Black with 19" AMG alloys.

IMG_9029.jpg

You've never been there then... :D

I think that I did once, is there a hotel which looks like it used to be on a station now closed to trains?

Probably called the Station, Platform, Railway or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom