Help with sudden noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Took the car out for a drive today after a few days

Noise coming from what seems like the front left wheel..like a whirring/scraping noise. (Impossible to explain lol ) anyway I pulled over and had a look and it appears the disc is being scored I.e something stuck in the caliper?

IMG_2574.jpg

Not too sure if that's the issue tho as there isn't anything visibly in it.. I've no idea to be fair. Apart from that the only thing I did differently is washed the wheels using a wheel cleaner the day before (acid free) although I doubt getting that on the brakes could cause an issue?

The noise gets louder with increased speed

Thanks
Abs

It could well be a bit of gravel stuck between pad and disc.

Wheel off, pads out, have a look.

Cheers mate

Should be going into Wayne Gates soon to be sorted

i have the same score on my disc, i don't hear any noise at all.
i didn't find any gravel between pad and disc.

what is causing the disc to score

Might be an object/gravel stuck between the disc and the back plate or a damged/bent back plate. Check the hub+disc end float with the cailper in the service position and pads removed--- for wear or roughness in the front bearings. altho bearing wear is usually a lower pitched rumbling sound

Last edited:
As above. Some heavy braking will either dislodge it or push it into the pad where it will eventually get fired out. Worst case is to fit new pads or remove and clean the existing ones. But if removing them? You may as well replace them.

IMG_2583.jpg

Looks like suspension has collapsed on front left.. do you see the black bottom part is rubbing... anyone got any ideas?

IMG_2584.jpg

Otherside there is clearance

This side the bottom plastic black ring is making contact with the tyre

I don't understand how this can happen as the car was just parked up for a few days

Springs often collapse when the car is parked up. This is because spring failure is due to spring internal stress induced during their manufacture. Surface corrosion/cracks after the protective layer is broken then forms a focus for this stress causing sudden failure. In a way they self destruct.

Springs often collapse when the car is parked up. This is because spring failure is due to spring internal stress induced during their manufacture. Surface corrosion/cracks after the protective layer is broken then forms a focus for this stress causing sudden failure. In a way they self destruct.

thanks for explaining. Does it look like spring failure to you? Shall I order a front spring? Or does it need replacement in pairs?

I'd replace them in pairs; if one failed the other may not be far behind it.

Just check that it has failed before you pay to replace it. - Maybe take a wheel off and it should be obvious that either (a) there's a broken piece of spring held down by the bit above it (b) the end of the spring is just a jagged point that doesn't sit neatly in the seat.

I'd replace them in pairs; if one failed the other may not be far behind it.

Just check that it has failed before you pay to replace it. - Maybe take a wheel off and it should be obvious that either (a) there's a broken piece of spring held down by the bit above it (b) the end of the spring is just a jagged point that doesn't sit neatly in the seat.

Going to get RAC to transport to Wayne Gates

I assume I'll need a flat bed lorry? As an automatic can't be towed 57 miles?

Difficult to tell from the picture to be honest. The W209 suspension of the strut type so its likely either the strut or the spring has collapsed.
pic10.jpg

Always a good idea to replace older springs in pairs 1 to retain the same spring rate/ride height side to side 2 failure of one spring is a good indicator the other one may not be long behind it.
I would suggest you price the option of complete spring + strut unit replacement each side as there's a bit of labour involved in removing the strut then dismantling it on the bench with a spring compressor to fit new springs .

Difficult to tell from the picture to be honest. The W209 suspension of the strut type so its likely either the strut or the spring has collapsed.
pic10.jpg

Always a good idea to replace older springs in pairs 1 to retain the same spring rate/ride height side to side 2 failure of one spring is a good indicator the other one may not be long behind it.
I would suggest you price the option of complete spring + strut unit replacement each side as there's a bit of labour involved in removing the strut then dismantling it on the bench with a spring compressor to fit new springs .

Looks like that bottom plastic ring is pushing against the wheel

So I'd assume the spring may have snapped and pushing it down?

Will phone up MB and find out the parts costs

Always an idea to cost the MB parts- have your chassis no ready as the spring rates are tailored to the car depending on what equipment is fitted. Wayne Gates may be able to suggest a good quality generic equivalent such as sachs/boge or bilstein which might prove cheaper. always factor the labour costs when doing the calculations mind.

Always an idea to cost the MB parts- have your chassis no ready as the spring rates are tailored to the car depending on what equipment is fitted. Wayne Gates may be able to suggest a good quality generic equivalent such as sachs/boge or bilstein which might prove cheaper. always factor the labour costs when doing the calculations mind.

I'd prefer OEM parts

MB bridge end quoted £55+VAT for a spring and £150+VAT for front shock

An unexpected bill anyhow :(

Take the advice given at Wayne Gates when you get your car there.

Think you wil find that Boge/Sachs are original equipment, probably Bilstein too. Don't think MB manufacture springs and shocks themselves.

Car transported over to Wayne Gates for the front offside suspension issue to be investigated

IMG_2595.jpg

At least I know it's in good hands with Terry & the team

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom