Help with wi-fi boiler control please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Looking for some advice please. I have a wi-fi boiler control unit (for my static caravan) that needs wiring in but really can't seem to get somebody local to fit it. Had someone from Essex say he could do it, but I'm in Morecambe!

We have a Worcester 24i boiler and I'm pretty confident that I've identified which wires do what so could probably fit myself. However there is also an esrterfw wireless thermostat in the lounge which makes me pause and wonder should the wi-fi control unit actually be connected to that instead? Any thoughts please? I have all the wiring diagrams. Any advice appreciated.

What are you expecting the new one to do that the old one doesn’t?

Ability to turn boiler on (or off) and set temp via an app when we are on our way (I have internet and a router at the van). Logic says that there must be some way of doing it via the existing wireless controller but can't find anything. Cheers!

Already have Nest at home which is fantastic, but don't need that level of control such as schedule etc. Just on/off and temp

Last edited:
I have an existing wireless control for my heating...but I'm going wifi and Alexa. So, the hub is replaced because the new system cannot connect into the old hub. Nor can the app etc connect to the old wireless controller you have...unless it is wifi/app enabled...if you know what I mean.

Your old one appears to be like a normal thermostat plus a wireless sender. I’d disconnect that from the boiler (receiver part of it) and just use your newer solution.

Your old one appears to be like a normal thermostat plus a wireless sender. I’d disconnect that from the boiler (receiver part of it) and just use your newer solution.

Thanks. Makes sense. I'd need to install another room thermostat in that case I guess?

Thanks. Makes sense. I'd need to install another room thermostat in that case I guess?

Sounds like your old one is just wireless to the controller.
You would do away with this and use the new solution with a new stat.

These days people use a smart thermostat that does all that. The thermostat can be programmed with timing and there’s no need for a separate controller.

These days people use a smart thermostat that does all that. The thermostat can be programmed with timing and there’s no need for a separate controller.
Thanks for that. Don't really want or need timing, just the ability to turn on and off remotely.

Maybe off the wall, but maybe I am overthinking this.....

The wireless controller plugs in via a 3 pin plug. What would happen if I used a smart plug which I can switch on and off over t'internet and I switched it off when leaving and on when on my way back? Only potential drawback I can think of is does the controller loose the pairing if power off for a few days

I don't think that a smart plug is that smart of an idea for this application. What model of "wi-fi boiler control unit" are you trying to install?

Since you've identified the "call" trigger for the boiler, all you need is a thermostatic controlled switch to connect and disconnect the call circuit. I use a Sonoff TH10 on my boiler to control the hot water but using it's optional probe against the tank but you would use the temp/humidity sensor. to measure the air temp. The ewelink app' is simple and it would give you the control you need at a very low cost. less than £20. Have a look at their other devices that work off the app', various cameras and switches. Had mine running for almost 3 years now without issue.

Looking for some advice please. I have a wi-fi boiler control unit (for my static caravan) that needs wiring in but really can't seem to get somebody local to fit it. Had someone from Essex say he could do it, but I'm in Morecambe!

We have a Worcester 24i boiler and I'm pretty confident that I've identified which wires do what so could probably fit myself. However there is also an esrterfw wireless thermostat in the lounge which makes me pause and wonder should the wi-fi control unit actually be connected to that instead? Any thoughts please? I have all the wiring diagrams. Any advice appreciated.
I'm in Morecambe. If you need a good (fully qualified) Morecambe-based heating engineer, phone Chris on 01524 832473/07515 065331. nice bloke and knows his stuff.

Good luck!

Steve

I don't think that a smart plug is that smart of an idea for this application. What model of "wi-fi boiler control unit" are you trying to install?
I have a MoesGo. However I can't help but think it's overkill really as all I actually need is the ability to switch on or off remotely - not bothered about temperature, scheduling etc. Hence my thought of a smart plug on the thermostat controller. On leaving home (40 mins away) we would switch it on remotely so that the van has had the chill taken off for when we get there - we can set desired temperature when we arrive. The ESRTERFW (link to specs and manuals) wireless thermostat has a manual override which can be used if the internal batteries are not recharged (likely if we are away for more than a week) which was a concern.

What does the panel think?

I’d probably just use a basic Sonoff switch to create the call for heat. No temperature measurement, just connected to the boiler as an override.

Thanks for this (also @wrdcc01) Looks like TH10 may be a plan!? How simple is it to connect to the boiler please? Any links to "how to" are welcome!

For my own education, why is this a better solution that the one I suggested? Every day is a school day!

Well it gives you what you want, remote switching and if you want to use it, it's own thermostatic control and remote temperature set and display. Costs £16 and is simple to wire. Mains in and switched mains out. As easy as a light switch. Just feed the "call for heat" boiler trigger with the switched live output of the Sonoff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom