HELP :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam Bell

Car
E55 AMG (Brutus) , BMW E46 325CI
Hi,

I have got my new Eurocharged 83mm pulley for my S/C after the old one decided to let go and fire bits of old pulley into other moving parts but i can't get the bolt out of the old pulley.

I have got the clamps for the charger to stop it turning and i have a large 24mm spanner but it won't budge at all.

Has anyone got any tips for getting these off please, i am desperate to get my car working now it has been sat for over a week on my drive.

Please help a man i need

Thank you

Can’t help I’m afraid but best of luck. Hope Brutus is back to his former glory soon.

Abs

I found this video where he used the wrench plus a hammer to loosen the bolt.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Skippy

Impact gun, needs the pulsed attack.

Shouldn't need a huge bar really, I managed to lock mine & off it came with a ring spanner. make sure you torque it correctly & use threadlock.

Shouldn't need a huge bar really, I managed to lock mine & off it came with a ring spanner. make sure you torque it correctly & use threadlock.

Mine was completely locked on, we tried for hours and in the end used a 1.5m bar to get it off

Blimey....maybe it wasn't the bearing that were rattling on mine maybe it was loose :D

Well seems it won’t budge at all.
The bolt has also suffered some damage so when it does come out I will buy a new one.

Tomorrow I’m going to heat it up and see if I can get it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could try tightening it and then loosening. Sometimes that will help.
It is a standard thread according to the video, so righty-tighty - lefty loosey.

Well tried everything , this morning was a blow torch to heat and cool it after and repeated heating.
Stilsons , long spanner’s now the bolt is mashed :( so annoyed.
Looks like the front end will need to come off so I can an impact gun on it.

Well tried everything , this morning was a blow torch to heat and cool it after and repeated heating.
Stilsons , long spanner’s now the bolt is mashed :( so annoyed.
Looks like the front end will need to come off so I can an impact gun on it.

Holy Monkey!:(

Warning: This could do serious damage to yourself..

Some have been known to hammer on a good quality impact socket > wedge a 1/2 Socket bar against something very solid > Very briefly !! Crank the engine on the starter motor.

I had this issue when the Crank Shaft Pulley bolt came loose on my 3.5 Pajero. I the end I went for a purpose made locking tool. THis was made out of 1.5 meters of flat bar steel and two steel dowel pins that located into two holes that had to be drilled into the pulley. The recommended torque on that bolt is 185Nm and yes it is good to ft a new bolt and washer (if it has one). I believe that the threads can stretch.

If you go down the starter motor route? Just give the key a flick, no more as it is huge trque here and you do not want anything/anybody being in the way of it, if it lets go.

Well, that's not preferred.

How much of the pulley is still present?
Is the supercharger still turning (i.e. not seized)?

Picture would be nice.

My concern would be that the bolt is so buggered that it's not coming out without damaging the threads. The bolt looks to be hardened which adds complexity. Difficult to drill if it breaks off.

75f9e841c8724956fc29ec3c0c575c26.jpg

That’s the bolt on the front not circled , it’s now got damaged edges where the spanner has slipped on it

It’s not seized but you can feel the bearings are shot to bits
It could be driven somewhere

I suspect looking at it, and I'm sure Toolman will jump in here... that its a grill off, Impact socket and large piece of pipe on the wrench to swing away merrily on it... it may be worth hiring from HHS plant hire or someone a localized Heat source gun and apply to the nut..

Now a crucial question here: What way does the pulley rotate? As (and no laughing here) it could be a left handed thread i.e to tighten is anti clockwise, and to loosen is a clockwise motion.. dumbfounds the ol' "Righty tighty Lefty Loosy" theory... but only in engineering can it happen:wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom