Help!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manpolsabre

Car
1992 300D
Am I glad this forum is full of IT people.

My nice little daughter has been playing about with the computer and changed the user identity and password for the email system. (outlook express 6)

The little cherub:devil: has forgotten the password:crazy:

How can I retrieve it or change it:confused:

I can't get it logged on....

Bob

I've got the user name, its the 'main identity'....but how can I find the changed password because the main identity controls everything.

Bob

Bob

will have been supplied to you when you registered with NTL - you can normally change it on their homepage www.ntlworld.com, as long as you know what it is !! slight problem if you have forgotten it, as it is not visible in the logon, or outlook express boxes once entered, so you will need to call them and get them to reset it, I think.

.... unless anybody knows another way !

S.

What operating system are you using Bob? anything other than XP / 2000 and you could try a search for a PWL file (search *.*pwl) those hold the passwords on your computer.

Thanks Sym, I've managed to open another email name using the same wmail address as before, so I can now send and receive emails.

But the 'mail identity' one won't open.

I'll give NTL a bell in the morning, but I don't think they have anything to do with Outlook Express.

Where's that daughter.....she's about to suffer some severe PAIN:devil:

Bob

if you are locked out of the main identity of outlook express the quickest and easiest way - asuming you have the passwords etc to connect to the ntl mail server is to uninstall OE and reinstall it.

The downside of this is you will lose any mail you have stored unless..........

in your windows directory you will find the following folder

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{C71B3080-EBEE-11D6-8B8C-83B2EF4B0A2F}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

copy all the files in there - you will recognise their names and store them somewhere safe, when you reinstall you can copy them all back to the same location, after a restart OE should see them. It's not failsafe but it works most times :)

Once you reinstall outlook express you'll need to set up the account details again obviously.

Sorry can't be much more help than that

Andy

Originally posted by manpolsabre
I'll give NTL a bell in the morning, but I don't think they have anything to do with Outlook Express

Bob

You might find that NTsmell send you to microsoft. Ill check tomorrow if ive got any docs on how to crack OE identity passwords. Im sure there is as least something that can do it.

Originally posted by fuzzer
You might find that NTsmell send you to microsoft. Ill check tomorrow if ive got any docs on how to crack OE identity passwords. Im sure there is as least something that can do it.

try

www.nthellworld.com

I find its good for a laugh !

S. (@ntlworld.com!) :(

I'm a little confused by all this....all account passwords in outlook will be authenticated by the ISP in question. Ring your ISP and they will be able to reset the password to whatever you want.

I'm kinda guessing we are all talking about different passwords - I assumed that Bob was referring to identity passwords which the isp would have no control over.

Andy

I've managed to create a new identity and password using my same old email address. I'm now able to send and receive emails.

Its just that 'main identity' I can't get working now.

I don't understand what this 'main identity' is all about, but never mind it seems to work without it.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

I can now go and untie my daughter from the 'rack' and undo the thumb screws;)

Bob

main identity is outlook express's default ID or identity, as you have found you can add identities - try setting the one you are currently using to "default" that means that OE will open using that one each time.

Andy

Originally posted by Sp!ke
I'm a little confused by all this....all account passwords in outlook will be authenticated by the ISP in question. Ring your ISP and they will be able to reset the password to whatever you want.

Its totally diferent to outlook. This is microsoft trying to make things too fancy for the home user. Basically , its like having a profile in win2k or XP. Depending on what user logs into outlook express it will load all their Personal folders and address book that go with that logon. Must be quite handy if you are sharing the comp , but ..... AS with most passwords and the home user they go AWOL and this causes a lot of greif for us to fix :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom