"Helpful"websites...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PXW

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model 3 AWD Performance; MG ZS EV
Just went on the Halfords website (yes, I know...) to see if my local store had any car ramps - the MGB is due an MOT but I need to get under it to adjust the handbrake first; it's a low car and these days I am not low when lying down...

Anyway - put in the cunning search term of 'car ramps'. It fizzed and whirred a bit then came back with the response: "You entered 'car ramps' but we searched for car amps, which found 3053 results" !!!

I then entered "car ramp", and it returned just one item...called "car ramps".

I guess this does at least mean that the Halfords website operates with the same level of intelligence as the staff.

Anyone else got any search term war stories?...

No and I always find the staff very helpful and courteous.
Oddly I've just used the Halfords' website search facility using the term "car ramps" and guess what...
Perhaps you should check your spelling

Oddly I've just used the Halfords' website search facility using the term "car ramps" and guess what...

Spelling was fine, thanks. The quote I gave from the website was a cut-and-paste, so you can see what I entered on the website. Curious it should give you a different response.

Certainly a bit of four candles about it, Troon - just haven't encountered the electronic version before:D

When you say Helpful do you mean when you ask them where the polish is they can point in the general direction?
Your local store must be different to mine then!
A few years ago i went in my local and tried to order a full Magnex system for a 16v clio after much searching and head scratching the lad asked me " are you sure its a clio" i said dont worry mate i will get it else where!

Tony.

As for staff standards - just been into store to make the purchase. Picked up the ramps and took them to the checkout. These are priced per pair, I say. Attendant plops the magic flashy red light thingy at one of the ramps then says 'that'll be £119.98 sir'. Really, I say - did you put it in twice? There are two sir. No, I say, I think you will find they are priced per pair. Attendant then gets on the phone and asks someone 'upstairs'. Puts phone down, taps the screen and says 'That'll be £59.99 then sir'. No apology, no comment, nothing....

I just tried the four candles car ramps entry in Halfords’ search box and was also greeted with a choice of 3053 products (as well as two advice items). But, in Halfords’ defence it did come up with the single option of a pair of car ramps before I hit the GO button.

I’ve had lots of these search term issues on company websites as well as the usual search engines such as Google. They’re all trying to be too bloomin clever and assuming we can’t spel words corectly! ;) So instead of first offering exactly what we’ve asked for, they immediately tell us all possible options. You’d be amazed how many results I get on Google that are totally unrelated to bipedal winged vertebrates when, as a keen ornithologist, I enter into the search box “tits and swallows”. :eek:

Try Googling 'Wild Asian Ass'.

BTW, the answer is Onager .

I was entering stuff on the M-B insurance website this week - you get 7 days' free cover on approved used cars now. Having selected "housewife" for Mrs BTB's occupation, it then insisted on selecting "nature of employers business" from a drop-down list :rolleyes:

Nearest I could find in the end was something like "self catering provider", so used that.

When you say Helpful do you mean when you ask them where the polish is they can point in the general direction?
Your local store must be different to mine then!
A few years ago i went in my local and tried to order a full Magnex system for a 16v clio after much searching and head scratching the lad asked me " are you sure its a clio" i said dont worry mate i will get it else where!

Tony.

Obviously so, the Leek store has a couple of quite excellent staff, I've mentioned it on here before, but with such a numerous nationwide presence it's inevitable there will be good and bad.
it is odd though that the website search function can give different results to the same inquiry.

Anyway, the really good news - the old girl passed her MOT without any advisories :)

Excellent news, not all rusty old knackers then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom