Here’s a way to test your EIS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sturge

Car
SL 500 R230 Vito sport X Brabus
So here’s an idea to save some time. Having read on here about people sending away their EIS’s only to be told there is nothing wrong with it, I thought I’d make sure before doing so. I’ve just taken mine out of the car and put it in the oven for 10 minuets on 50 degrease, put it back in and hey presto, it worked. So now I can send it away knowing the diagnosis is correct. Hope this helps someone......

So here’s an idea to save some time. Having read on here about people sending away their EIS’s only to be told there is nothing wrong with it, I thought I’d make sure before doing so. I’ve just taken mine out of the car and put it in the oven for 10 minuets on 50 degrease, put it back in and hey presto, it worked. So now I can send it away knowing the diagnosis is correct. Hope this helps someone......

OK...so what worked? Was it completely knackered following the heat treatment having had an intermittent fault before? Hopefully this doesn't introduce additional problems that might not be detected with their normal test methods.

Ernie

It’s a well known fact that the cold weather affects these units, giving it a warm through made it work, thus proving it definitely is that, that’s faulty. I will try it in the morning but know it won’t work again.

Could just be the action of unplugging and plugging it in again fixed the problem by wiping the contact surfaces.....

Tricky stuff this Ohms Law.

I've seen comments before that pointing a hair dryer at them can cause them to spring back into life.

If its one of these units involving a small electric motor and a spiral actuator- heating it might melt any grease thats congealed into some sort of hard blob seizing the mechanism. There was a thread about renewing the actuator-motor not long ago for about £20-30 ?

here's a video showing the spiral actuator not that I'm suggesting you attempt a repair more as an explanation why heating might release it
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Yes I read the same thing about the hair drier but being a long way from a power point it wasn’t an option, hence taking it out and putting it in the oven. On a SL you don’t have a steering lock so that wasn’t going to be the problem. I needed to take it out to send it away so not a waste of time. This could have been a problem for years, I only ever tax my car for the summer then it gets its coat put on till the following year.

Wish it was just a case of dirty contacts. I tried it again this morning and it was back to not working again.

Ah, yeah I fixed mine in my W204.

The motor failed. It was about £15 for the new motor and took a few hours to fix start to finish.

Good news it worked on my EIS and I also baked a lasagna at the same time.

Forgive my stupidity but what are the symptoms of a faulty switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intermittent or completely not working! Sometimes wiggling the key can get you home, but after that it's either a stripdown or get to a garage.

Ernie

GREAT, last night when i got in the car when I put the key in, every think lite up, the steering lock released but the engine wouldn't crank

I seem to remember that MB in their wisdom decided it was a good idea to leave you stranded by locking out the ignition after a number of failed attempts to release the steering lock. It should be in a previous thread on the forum somewhere if you do a search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom