Here I go again..... broken car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mirras

Car
Range Rover TDV8
After 3 months without the issues, hassles and grief that go with Mercedes ownership, I decided life was too easy and bought a '56 plate w221 on Friday.....

Guess where it's going tomorrow....

That's right, MB workshop for repair.

Nothing major I hope, ABS, ESP, Tyre pressure detection, Cruise/speedtronic and brake hold all disabled themselves. I suspect it's just a sensor or control unit they all share, we'll see what Star says. Conveniently, the Audi dealer I bought it from is right next to Mercedes and it was booked straight in to MB with no trouble, very helpful indeed.

I sort of expected some teething trouble with a car that's been sitting a while so we'll see what the next few weeks brings.

I love the car though, it's so quiet and comfortable. Has most of the toys I would use and is missing some I would like. The only thing I really miss are the Xenon lights, the ones on this car are very poor and I may have to investigate a HID upgrade if the Osram Nightbreaker H7s I've ordered don't improve things.

Took it a run today, I'll post up an album later....

After 3 months without the issues, hassles and grief that go with Mercedes ownership, I decided life was too easy and bought a '56 plate w221 on Friday.....

Guess where it's going tomorrow....

That's right, MB workshop for repair.

Nothing major I hope, ABS, ESP, Tyre pressure detection, Cruise/speedtronic and brake hold all disabled themselves. I suspect it's just a sensor or control unit they all share, we'll see what Star says. Conveniently, the Audi dealer I bought it from is right next to Mercedes and it was booked straight in to MB with no trouble, very helpful indeed.

I sort of expected some teething trouble with a car that's been sitting a while so we'll see what the next few weeks brings.

I love the car though, it's so quiet and comfortable. Has most of the toys I would use and is missing some I would like. The only thing I really miss are the Xenon lights, the ones on this car are very poor and I may have to investigate a HID upgrade if the Osram Nightbreaker H7s I've ordered don't improve things.

Took it a run today, I'll post up an album later....

Sorry to hear you are having early problems with your new mb,2nd hand cars of all makes sometimes go wrong so hopefully yours won't be much & will be covered by a used car warranty?

Welcome to the world of the S-Class.

Like a fickle female, they need a little fettling now and again as they are complex beasties.

Usually something trivial but enough to annoy you. Too damned clever for it's own good at times :)

Thanks for the replies, after the SL there's not much surprises me. I am happy in a way that it's failed on the 2nd working day of ownership, lets it get the full Star diag which should pick up on any other issues too. The garage were excellent and told me just to pop it in next door ( to MB Ayr ) and they would pick it up the cost. It has been serviced regularly there and they know the car so I feel in safe hands for now.

I've managed just under 500 miles since Friday and averaged over 37mpg.... I'm very impressed.

At least the annoyance of having early ownership problems are made easier knowing the supplying dealer is going to foot the bill before knowing exactly whats wrong with the car(or do they:eek:).

I suspect there may be an issue if it's a big bill but I suspect it may be an easy fix. Good chance it's just a sensor given the number of systems that have all disabled themselves at once. Here's hoping.

I guess there`s never been a better time for you to have a W124

As the S320 CDI's come down in price I do get a bit tempted. Perhaps one day. In the mean time.......... Ill stick with my trusty old 124's.

As the new model comes out next year, W221 prices will take another big drop making them superb value if you can live with the running costs. I was planning to wait but I have a few big journeys to make this side of Christmas so took the plunge early.

pics of car

just had a look at your car... looks very nice.. they have a certain majestic aura to them.... congrats..

I've just come back from the garage, the car is back with the supplying dealer who wants to do his own checks but it looks very like a speed sensor on the rear. Not a cheap fix if the drive shaft side of the sensor is at fault but I am happy so far they are doing all the right things and they were very helpful and explained things well. Fingers crossed.

Got the car back at lunchtime, all fixed and errors gone. Ayr Audi replaced a faulty rear speed sensor and the error cleared. They detailed the issue, showed me it on the car and replaced the part as soon as they got it from MB. 10 out of 10 for service. I am a happy customer and if that's indicitive if their levels of customer service I may be looking at an A8 next.... :thumb:

Got the car back at lunchtime, all fixed and errors gone. Ayr Audi replaced a faulty rear speed sensor and the error cleared. They detailed the issue, showed me it on the car and replaced the part as soon as they got it from MB. 10 out of 10 for service. I am a happy customer and if that's indicitive if their levels of customer service I may be looking at an A8 next.... :thumb:
Nice car Mirras. Ive got an A8 D3. My family also has 2 S320CDIs. The A8 towers above them in everything apart from ride quality....its not bad at all, it's just harder than an s class. You should have looked at one before the Sclass.
They are however vey majestic.

I have hankered after a w221 for a couple of years now but looking for one did draw my eye to the A8. I've always liked them, even the older ones. In a few years when the S320 is retired I may look again, they are very nice cars, above BMW and Jaguar in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom