Here's a poser for you .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pepper&boulou

Car
Volkswagen Passat V6TDi estate
I have a 1988 300 D with which I tow a caravan, problem is the temperature gauge goes right up when climing hills or overtaking in lower gears ,although it has never overheated asyet.Fitted a new viscous coupling ,made little difference. Could I retro-fit twin electric fans from the turbo diesel E class w124 and have them on a switch to use when required as I don't want to remove new viscous unit although I've heard it would be more economical fuel wise and also give more power to the wheels as it is not wasted powering the fan . What do you guys think? PS. temperature fine solo. pps car manual gearbox , also there seems to be some sort of cooler in front of Rad ; but I don't know what it's for.:confused: :confused: :confused: :eek:

Last edited:
There is a larger rdiator available for 124's which are used to tow caravans. There is also a transmition cooler and extra oil cooler for them too.

Just a thought, when did your car last have a complete coolant drain/flush/replacement? Maybe that might help matters?

S.

When I got the shed I went to MB in Blackpool for some bits and bobs, as you do. Met another 124 estate owner there and we were discussing this very subject. He told me that the 124's were prone heating issues (not problems) if towing. He advised me to do as he did and fit larger rad, oil cooler and transmition cooler. I must admit to not having done it but there again I dont tow anything other than a St Bernard :crazy:

Steve_Perry said:
Just a thought, when did your car last have a complete coolant drain/flush/replacement? Maybe that might help matters?

S.
It had this when the new viscous coupling was fitted :eek:

Ian B Walker said:
When I got the shed I went to MB in Blackpool for some bits and bobs, as you do. Met another 124 estate owner there and we were discussing this very subject. He told me that the 124's were prone heating issues (not problems) if towing. He advised me to do as he did and fit larger rad, oil cooler and transmition cooler. I must admit to not having done it but there again I dont tow anything other than a St Bernard :crazy:
We've got two minature schnauzers (Pepper & Boulou) :p

Last edited:
pepper&boulou said:
It had this when the new viscous coupling was fitted :eek:
Found out today that the circulation pump was not working so I had it replaced and also fitted a new thermostat and new coolant.So we will see if that makes any difference,before I go the bigger RAD and Auxiliary fan route.

Last edited:
towing places a greater strain on any engine so expect to see running temps raise by a fair bit. From your original comments it only happens when the engine is under most stress so as long as you are not overheating there will be little to panic over.

A bigger rad is an interesting idea but I think you will find that it won't make a huge difference and will impair running in the winter when you are not towing as the engine will struggle to maintain operating temperature. The aux fan idea is better and will have no adverse effects.

The extra rad in front of the radiator could well be an oil cooler (another great help for towing) just check where the pipes from it go.

To keep the engine cool use a good synthetic oil (the lowest viscosity you can get away with) and change it regularly. Oil not only lubricates but disperses heat from the engine a lot more efficiently than water does and if the oil temp is low then the cooling system has less work to do.

Andy

andy_k said:
towing places a greater strain on any engine so expect to see running temps raise by a fair bit. From your original comments it only happens when the engine is under most stress so as long as you are not overheating there will be little to panic over.

A bigger rad is an interesting idea but I think you will find that it won't make a huge difference and will impair running in the winter when you are not towing as the engine will struggle to maintain operating temperature. The aux fan idea is better and will have no adverse effects.

The extra rad in front of the radiator could well be an oil cooler (another great help for towing) just check where the pipes from it go.

To keep the engine cool use a good synthetic oil (the lowest viscosity you can get away with) and change it regularly. Oil not only lubricates but disperses heat from the engine a lot more efficiently than water does and if the oil temp is low then the cooling system has less work to do.

Andy
Thank's for the advice andy. I 've now noticed that since the circulation pump and thermostat change engine normal running temp has gone up slightly nearer the 100 degres c, but car feels quicker/more responsive . :D

I think you will find that the 2 fans at the front are for the a/c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom