Here's something to bring a tear to a glass eye

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

del320

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
1996 E320 Coupe
I was unable to add to MOCAŠ' "Spotted in London" thread nor did I wish to further confuse the "What is this Car" thread.

So, feast yer minces on this 23 minute film from 1970. I could not see a single Mercedes but plenty of new-fangled Rover 2000s, spivs Jag MkIIs and S Types and posh Humbers.

Jonny Foreigner represented by several FIATs, Renaults - including R4, R8, R16 and an Alpine. Spot a DS and a 2CV along with the inevitable Beetle and Microbus. Add in a Volvo and a couple of brash Yanks including a Mustang and the rest are jolly good examples of British craftsmanship.

Other gems include a couple of Standard Vanguards along with an Atlas van, Beardmore taxis, a Lyons tea van, a coal lorry and a AC Invacar!

TRAFFIC AND BUSES OF LONDON - British Pathe

Enjoy. :thumb:

Amazing, thanks for that!!! What struck me, the congestion wasn't much different to now! :) Also, quite a lot of American cars, didn't remember that when I was a kid.

What was great then, so much less street furniture! Can't stand all the signs, warnings etc etc we have now.

Brilliant find!

Thanks for posting that, del320. It's great that films like this have survived, as they provide a valuable record of how our streetscape has changed, from road layouts and shop-fronts to the buildings themselves - and the cars, of course.

There are a few similar videos on YouTube, such as the one below. I'll see if I can find some more.

[YOUTUBE]SEKD9uPJTtU[/YOUTUBE]

I think this one may have been posted a while back, but worth another look:

[YOUTUBE]IHoVoTfVSlU[/YOUTUBE]

The are some fascinating clips to be found on the Pathe website. I came across this one a while back:

AERODROME FARM - British Pathe

Imagine having a disused WW2 bomber station all to yourself (along with a few cows and pigs of course) !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom