Here's Why Lexus Built A Better Yoke Than Tesla

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
The secret is variable steering gear ratios, made possible by using 'steer-by-wire'

Now there's two things about this I'm uncertain about. One the absence of a physical connection between my hands and the front wheels. I wonder how well road/steering feel will work, will it be like a PC racing simulation 'feedback' steering wheel? The other is the variable steering ratio dependent on road speed. That said I've had progressive steering on my Mercs and not really noticed it but this seems more extreme, one never has to cross hands to make a turn.

Looking forward to experiencing it
:g:
I think ....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not sure that’s such a good idea. Time will tell…

Not sure that’s such a good idea. Time will tell…
Never mind the driving experience, what about the scenario of car parked up for x weeks and battery flat, one can't even move it except in a straight line?

Never mind the driving experience, what about the scenario of car parked up for x weeks and battery flat, one can't even move it except in a straight line?
Ok so assuming it’s the same as my Tesla there will be 2 batteries - a conventional 12V and the HV, the HV keeps the 12V topped up… if the HV ‘dies’ then the 12V will follow shortly, you need to ‘jump’ the 12V in order to allow the car to ‘wake up’ and then you can charge the HV pack (just a standard 3 pin socket even will do it)…

Without ‘waking it’ you wouldn’t be able to even release the parking brake or put the car into ‘tow mode’.

Even left for a few weeks it shouldn’t go flat as long as nothings keeping the car awake such as a 3rd party app etc.

I’d assume the ‘steer by wire’ is powered by the HV battery??

Ok so assuming it’s the same as my Tesla there will be 2 batteries - a conventional 12V and the HV, the HV keeps the 12V topped up… if the HV ‘dies’ then the 12V will follow shortly, you need to ‘jump’ the 12V in order to allow the car to ‘wake up’ and then you can charge the HV pack (just a standard 3 pin socket even will do it)…

Without ‘waking it’ you wouldn’t be able to even release the parking brake or put the car into ‘tow mode’.

Even left for a few weeks it shouldn’t go flat as long as nothings keeping the car awake such as a 3rd party app etc.
On Lexus hybrids it's always the other way round the 12v dies well before the traction battery. The 12v tends to be a much smaller unit, as it only needs to power the entry system and then power up the computers to control the hybrid system. Once switched off the traction battery is completely isolated from any possible drain and will survive months.
But yes I take your point, one could use the mechanical key to enter the car but then without a mechanical PB release one's going no where.
The plus point (on Lexus anyway) one could wake the car up with a couple of AA batteries!

Millions of people "fly by wire" in jet airliners every year and don't give it a second thought- until the Boeing 737 max!
Boeing 737 MAX - Wikipedia -- but despite this technical "glitch" its back in service having been recertified by many authorities ---- go figure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom