Here's why Navy Helicopter pilots get a special extra allowance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Gulp. I've had a few bumpy landings in Lynx's in my time, but they were at least on dry land, which tends not to move about while you're trying to set down..

Cheers,

Gaz

Feeling a bit queasy .....

That's nowt. You want to try eating your dinner from a three compartment metal tray in that weather with your leg wrapped around the table leg to stop you sliding away. There was nothing that could be done about the custard getting on your fish and chips though.
On a serious note we had a Lynx that had a bird strike in weather not dissimilar to that and as a result lost hydraulic pressure. The pilot was grounded for a week if memory serves until his muscles all over his body had recovered from wrestling the controls to get back on the flight deck. Twas a very hairy moment.

Danish Navy.

I didn't spot the harpoon device that the RN used for holding the aircraft to the deck. But there is a grey circle in the middle of the landing spot which is probably the grid of holes into which the helo latches itself when it touches down.

ISTR that with its rigid main rotor the Lynx is able to alter its rotor pitch to help it stick. (I don't think it actually goes negative).

Yup I saw the Danish roundel on the helo and looked up the vessel (HDMS Ejnar Mikkelsen) as I thought it was rather a neat little thing!

Watching that made me think of the apocryphal Korean pilot Ho Lee Phuk! I've ridden amny a heli over the years, landing on platforms and floaters, would not fancy a ride in that helo!! Military pilots have bigger ones than commercial though - back in the 80's there was a big storm in the southern North Sea, the commercial pilots on platform helidecks would not shut down for re-fuelling, food etc, but the Navy boys would shut down, eat etc then fire up before departing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom