Hertfordshire X pipe fitters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IainB

Car
W220 S55
Slowly working my way through the snag list on my recently purchased S55 and fancy making it a little bit more 'less refined' yes, I should have quite possibly purchased something more akin to a C63 but hey, I like my create comforts.
Im based in North Herts, literally around the corner from Diagnatech & WelwynMerx so would prefer localish, but more than happy to travel to get it done properly

EMP - Although they have now moved down the road (Frogmore ~10 mins from the old location) to a bigger unit. They have done hundreds of AMGs, including our two CLS55s in the last month.

Another vote for EMP they did my old '55

.....and all sorted, popped in yesterday, booked for this morning :)
Now if only Euros could have been as efficient sorting out the heater blower motor that arrived ruined :eek:

Oh no, did you go for a Hella? Presumably you tried the heater blower resistor

Oh no, did you go for a Hella? Presumably you tried the heater blower resistor

Yes, splashed out on a Hella, something weird happened to Euros site over Christmas as I managed to get that and 4 charcoal filters for under £80 (4 because like a numpty I ordered 2 boxes...thinking they came individually). The car is very slow to clear the screen in the morning, my W208 430 is a LOT quicker and Ive already changed the cabin filters behind the glovebox. Will also be changing the resistor once I get the P/N off it, but couldnt turn down getting the fan at the price it was!

How much was the fan?

.....and all sorted, popped in yesterday, booked for this morning :)
Now if only Euros could have been as efficient sorting out the heater blower motor that arrived ruined :eek:

How are you finding your new exhaust tune?

How are you finding your new exhaust tune?

To be honest, I havent really noticed a difference, there is maybe a slight burble at start (could well be the pseudo effect) but as EMP said, its easier to make it louder than it is to make it quieter, so need to revisit them again once Ive finished overhauling the front and rear brakes.

Its a bit of a weird one, I dont want it to be crazy loud, its an S class after all, but would like a little something extra. May well look at fitting C63 back boxes, given thats the sound I like :)

The xpipe wont make much difference to the exhaust volume, for that you need a secondary CAT delete.

The xpipe wont make much difference to the exhaust volume, for that you need a secondary CAT delete.

Yep, as above a x-pipe on its own won't achieve much. You need the secondary cats and resonator removed for any increase in volume although I would assume the resonator was replaced by the x-pipe.

I should maybe have clarified what work EMP actually carried out... I have the secondary cats in the boot, as they removed those to do the x-pipe.
When Ive got it in the air to do the rear discs will have a better look at anything that can be removed (I should really have asked them to show me before they finished on Tuesday)

Edit - just popped out to the underground carpark at work, looks like I should have also requested the resonator delete option, lesson learnt (have to say, there work is exemplary, wish I could weld as good as that)

Last edited:
Hmmm, the Cats are too far apart on a 55 engine to fit a x-pipe in their place, so I imagine they were removed and two pieces of straight pipe fitted , then the x-pipe. The resonator usually replaces the x-pipe on a V8.

I found that my SL sounded a lot better with the secondary CAT's replaced with the xpipe, not too loud and a nicer V8 burble. I think removing the rear resonators may sound a bit to loud.

I found that my SL sounded a lot better with the secondary CAT's replaced with the xpipe, not too loud and a nicer V8 burble. I think removing the rear resonators may sound a bit to loud.

Do you mean the mufflers (back boxes)? If so I agree. It sounds awful and will drone like mad and prbably fail an MOT.
The V8 has only one resonator and its roughly under the drivers seat between the Secondary cats and the mufflers.

EMP normally put an X pipe where the resonators go, removing them, and straight throughs (not straight - following the path of the original exhaust) where secondary cats are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom