Hesitant C200K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhilL

Car
2002 SL500; '54 E270 CDI Elegance Estate; 2001 C200K Coupe
After seeing me spend all weekend tinkering with my recently purchased E270 Estate, (see previous threads) my wife was keen for me to have alook at her C200K Coupe as it has been playing up since we bought it about four years ago.

Before getting out the 'lucky' hammer I thought I would ask the forum if they have experienced similar problems, and hopefully save the additional expense normally incurred as a result of my investigations.

The symptom is that occassionally, usually once the car has been driven for a few miles, the car hesitates when you press the throttle (accellerator to you car drivers). You press it as normal and nothing happens, so you press it a bit more and still nothing happens, press it a bit more and still nothing happens!

At this point you have two choices:

1. You keep pressing until something does happen and risk running into the back of the car in front as the compressor kicks in.

or 2. Chicken out, lift off the throttle, and press it again when everything seems back to normal and the car gradually accellerates away as it should.

My money is on the MAF, but that's a lot of money so I hope someone can suggest a cheaper option, that way I can continue with my version of "The Money Pit", based on a 'good value' E270 Estate rather than a large old house!

But seriously, if anyone has experienced similar problems and has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

That really does sound like the MAF. You can get them at eurocar parts (it will be a Bosch part too, which is the same as the mercedes part) for alot cheaper than you think.

You can always disconnect it and see how the car drives to make sure, or if you have a code reader of some sort...

Is the consumption higher than usual? this doesn't always happen with a MAF problem but it can...

Adam 230K - Thanks for the prompt reply.

The car drives great, and has done for the last 4 years, except for the occassional problem with hesitancy.

I have an ELM237 (?) interface with Software from 'Gendan', which is great if the Engine Management light is on, but it's not. There are no fault codes in the memory so I'm scrabbling in the dark.

My money is still on the MAF, but I'm still not 110% convinced

The MAF is not expensive but it is best to get it on a decent diag machine such as a Star to see what is happening. The live data is the key to diagnosing such faults.

"The MAF is not expensive but it is best to get it on a decent diag machine such as a Star to see what is happening. The live data is the key to diagnosing such faults."

Black55, I agree, but my limited experience of having cars 'analyzed', mainly at dealers, is that the people using them are either unable to interpret the information properly to make a diagnosis or, if they are able, are unwilling to share that information with you. It's simply leave the car with us and we'll sort it out.

From the posts on this forum I am sure you do not fall in to either of these categories, it's just a shame i'm not local to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom