hesitation prior to kickdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cmarkod

Car
w211 220CDi
Over the last couple of weeks my car seems to have developed a longer delay from flooring it to kicking down. Also feels slower from a standstill. Moving acceleration stills feels ok though. Any ideas??

Slepping gearbox?
I have same problem :(

It feels like 10% power loss? When from a standstill? And it is intermittent?

Cheers
Chris

Over the last couple of weeks my car seems to have developed a longer delay from flooring it to kicking down. Also feels slower from a standstill. Moving acceleration stills feels ok though. Any ideas??

Mine is doing it also. Bit dangerous sometimes too!

Spoke to Olly at the GTG and he said it could be a sticking turbo switch or something? I'm sure he'll be along to comment soon

I am no expert but mine is suffering the same thing and it has been diagnosed as the EGR valve stuck open. The garage has blocked it off somhow pending a new one at £300 plus VAT plus fitting (possibly new solenoid too) but with the temporary fix, car is running much better.

Try this.

Attachments

• reset throttle.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Thanks nbgianna. I'll give this a try. Its booked in for a service next week anyway so I'll ask them to check if I get no joy, although I've not used this garage before so not sure how techy minded they are:rolleyes: (Mercedes Whitefield).

Last edited:
Mine is doing it also. Bit dangerous sometimes too!

Spoke to Olly at the GTG and he said it could be a sticking turbo switch or something? I'm sure he'll be along to comment soon
Wouldn't have thought it was turbo related as turbo on most cars doesn't kick in until over 2000 rpm. This of, course, is only my opinion.

I'd go with sticking EGR valve causing lack of oxygen when first coming off idle.

Any smoke?

I am no expert but mine is suffering the same thing and it has been diagnosed as the EGR valve stuck open. The garage has blocked it off somhow pending a new one at £300 plus VAT plus fitting (possibly new solenoid too) but with the temporary fix, car is running much better.

I'd be interested to know how they have done this as the EGR valve operation is monitored by the MAF sensor, unless the MAF is going duff, then it will ignore it.

It is possible to turn down the EGR percentage so maybe that's what they have done, but I'd be surprised.
If it's possible to continue to run without the EGR valve operational then that's a good option.

Weel problem sorted. The gearbox was losing oil through a busted seal. Now replaced and running as usual....

Try this.

Not very good English, has anyone done this who could rewrite the instructions so as there is no ambiguity?

"
You must put the key switch of engine on position 2 ( All the warning lamps turned on ) (Don’t start engine).
Push the throttle full down and hold for 5 sec..
Turn off the key switch without to leave the throttle.
Leave the throttle
Wait 2 min for reset .
After that start engine and drive the car"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom