Hey man, where can i get some good grass?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Now that you hippies are reading this, my lawn is in need of some TLC.

The odd weed, lots of moss, and burn patches from where the kids trampoline has been have all taken their toll.

It doesn't need re-seeding - there are no bare patches.

Is there a product I can use to return it to it's former glory and when should I apply it?

Any advice would be absolutely spliffing, spiffing
icon_wink.gif

My lawn was looking tired and weedy and needed lots of TLC. Being a bit of a lazy so and so I opted to go down the GreenThumb route who applied weed and feed 4 times a year. Apart from using this professional company, I changed the way I maintained the lawn.

Firstly, I did not cut it lower than 2 inches, then during the dry warm weather I watered it during the evening and lastly, I kept off it as much as possible.

I was told that watering a lawn during the evening reduces the amount of evaporation that can occur and therefore it is not necessary to drench the grass but to dampen it down. If yellowing occurs, spike the grass so that the water is able to get down to the roots.

Lime on the moss and lots of fertiliser for the rest. But you won't get all the weeds out unless you spray it dead and start again from fresh, even if you enjoy wondering around the lawn with a glass of wine and a fork for hours extracting weeds on late summer evenings. :):)

There are broad leaf weed killers that will kill some weeds and leave the grass, but if you're like me and are looking for the outdoor carpet look with no weeds, you'll need to start from scratch. Late winter very early spring is the best time to start with those plans......

Weed and feed at least twice a year, cut it reasonably short, not scalped, every week or so as it needs cutting. If its shady or damp an early application of mosskiller and then a scarify, and patch the bald bits.

Get a good lawn mower.

Make sure blades are sharp. Never cut more than 50% of length in any one go.

Cut very regularly in summer. Run the grass a bit longer in times of drought/winter.

Feed in spring. Feed with autumn specific in Oct.

Once a year spike the ground for aeration, scarify, oversow with seed as required and apply topdressing. If you can find a cheap supplier of leve lutes let me know.

Result will be jaw dropping.

Of course you could always choose Astro Turf.

I don't know how expensive it is but a weed-less perfect (maybe too perfect) lawn will be got in an instance - and no mowing and no grass-cuttings!

Of course you could always choose Astro Turf.

I don't know how expensive it is but a weed-less perfect (maybe too perfect) lawn will be got in an instance - and no mowing and no grass-cuttings!

We have astotruf in the back garden, grass in the front.

not sure why - I suspect as it's in a big dip the sun might be limited. I can confirm that you can get weeds in Astroturf :doh:

Previous house we used Greenthumb who were very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom