Hi, advice appreciated from any C63 W204 coupe owners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TommyV

Car
CLS 55, Sierra
Hello guys, having viewed some CLS55's, I am also considering a C63 W204 coupe and would appreciate any advice from owners, such as if anyone wished they had gone for a certain edition instead (not including 507 and black), and if there is much difference?

I am looking at spending around 22K and this will get me a 2012 model, and I have just been looking for ‘standard’ C63’s; do these have standard brakes or do some have the composite brakes, there seem to be many variants it is a bit confusing!

Or is an older C63 just as good with the 7G gearbox / any problems with the later MCT, as it appears these only came out around 2012 so any issues with early MCT gearboxes?

I have seen there were some problems with the earlier models around headbolts and camshafts etc, does a 2012 model have any known issues?

And what is a facelift version, or was this just for the older saloons and estates?

Sorry for all the questions, any advice is appreciated!

Get a facelift 2011 onwards model. Only 507 and perf pack cars have composite brakes. Expensive to replace. I’d get a stock model with some nice options then add a Quaife diff, remap and cat delete. Should see 500+ / MSL can sort this for you.

20z8q3s.jpg

This is for sale on the Facebook group mate, slightly pricey but a stunning rare colour

My two pence...i would go for the facelift as they look better (IMHO) and don't suffer from the headbolt issues. Mine is a standard W204 saloon, only difference between that and the PP is the extra 30bhp and some may have the LSD (it was an optional extra) and some carbon fibe spoiler and alcantara steering wheel.

I would say that the standard one has more than enough power, but as mentioned above if you want extra power a remap and a quaife LSD are the better way to go, as trying to find a good PP that's got low mileage (generally what i'm after) is very hard to come by as they are quite rare.

Coupe or saloon, depends, that one is up to you, i needed the 4 doors, so i got a saloon. Colour, im my opinion, black is the best, but shows the dirt and rain spots quite easily, so for low maintenance, maybe choose another colour.

Happy hunting!

OP if you can stretch your budget a little Loughborough Mercedes have a lovely coupe in that will come with the 2 year AMG warranty.

As said above look for the best coupe you can find for your budget and get a Quaife fitted if the car does not have a LSD fitted and an MSL remap. The engine output differences are mostly restrictive breathing and can be got around with a decent remap, the LSD will help you get the power down and has made my car noticeably better to drive since having a Quaife fitted.

When you have found any cars you like the look of post them up on here and you will get some good input about spec, service schedule, known car to group etc.

Thanks a lot for the replies everyone, that is a great help. I wanted different opinions, and they are what I had in mind, so all good! Time to test drive and start searching, there seem plenty out there so can be more choosy for getting a nice one. Cheers.

Reactions: Yex
Thanks AL3X and AMGeed for mentioning Facebook and AutoVillage; thats 2 more places I wasn't aware of to look for a car, I usually have just used Autotrader, Pistonheads, Ebay and Gumtree.
Will probably go for a silver / grey one, as I think they look pretty good, and have previously had a car in white, black and then red, so fancy a change. Didn't realise there are a few different shades, looking on google it looks like there is Diamond / Palladium / Iridium Silver and then Tenorite Grey, but its not clear if all these are for the W204; still looking up more info etc about them!

Yex, just wandered briefly in what way is your car better to drive since having a Quaife fitted, as it seems a common mod, and so may be something I would consider. Cheers.

Hello Tommy, the Quaife allows me to put the power down out of tight corners from standing starts as well as (to me anyway) making the car feel more planted when asking for full throttle out of flowing corners that allow this. The car still squirms a bit but it is literally for just a split second then the electronics and the Quaife get it together and I just blast down the road. It will probably feel much better in wet conditions at getting out of corners as well and allow me a bit more leeway in having fun when conditions change but I will be practising in my local car park before venturing out on the roads ;)

It may be more in the mind than actual physical feeling but I am more happy pushing on in the car now as it felt a little twitchy beforehand with no LSD in place. My previous toy was a 450 Chimaera which was good fun to drive and allowed me to get the power down at all times as it had a basic mechanical LSD so the 507 feels much better to do this in, especially with the optional factory sports suspension package in the mix as well :D I’m still getting used to the car and it’s abilities and it makes me smile more every time I go out in it.

If you have a look in the C63 group on FB a nice white coupe has just been posted for sale at £21K which is getting some good press so may be worth a look :thumb:

People mention headbolts on the prefacelifts yet I’ve heard more horror stories on the cam adjusters going on the facelifts. Luck of the draw with these cars

I went from a c200 2010 saloon to a facelift coupe, as well as the engine, the facelift was certainly an upgrade and in coupe form I’m absolutely loving it

Check the Facebook group out there’s some nice examples on there as Alex mentioned

If you can get one with HK it’s a bonus, I didn’t see the big deal when I first got mine. When I sat down and figured it out and set it up right I now wouldn’t be without!

LSD would be lovely as Yex has, definitely an upgrade I’m looking to have done

Thanks AL3X and AMGeed for mentioning Facebook and AutoVillage; thats 2 more places I wasn't aware of to look for a car, I usually have just used Autotrader, Pistonheads, Ebay and Gumtree.
Will probably go for a silver / grey one, as I think they look pretty good, and have previously had a car in white, black and then red, so fancy a change. Didn't realise there are a few different shades, looking on google it looks like there is Diamond / Palladium / Iridium Silver and then Tenorite Grey, but its not clear if all these are for the W204; still looking up more info etc about them!

All are available in the W204... diamond is probably the rarest which is silver with an almost ice blue tint, often seen on the lesser models but I only know of 4 C63s in the U.K. in this colour. Palladium is almost graphite grey, iridium is essentially just silver, and tenorite is a darker colour with a navy blue tint.
bi5l3s.jpg

The top is iridium and bottom diamond.

People mention headbolts on the prefacelifts yet I’ve heard more horror stories on the cam adjusters going on the facelifts. Luck of the draw with these cars

I went from a c200 2010 saloon to a facelift coupe, as well as the engine, the facelift was certainly an upgrade and in coupe form I’m absolutely loving it

Check the Facebook group out there’s some nice examples on there as Alex mentioned

If you can get one with HK it’s a bonus, I didn’t see the big deal when I first got mine. When I sat down and figured it out and set it up right I now wouldn’t be without!

As Ashley says, HK is a brilliant option in these, very common on the PFL but not so much on FL.
I knew personally of one PFL which had a new engine from MB due to head bolts, it seems more common in the US.

Hello Tommy, the Quaife allows me to put the power down out of tight corners from standing starts as well as (to me anyway) making the car feel more planted when asking for full throttle out of flowing corners that allow this. The car still squirms a bit but it is literally for just a split second then the electronics and the Quaife get it together and I just blast down the road. It will probably feel much better in wet conditions at getting out of corners as well and allow me a bit more leeway in having fun when conditions change but I will be practising in my local car park before venturing out on the roads ;)

It may be more in the mind than actual physical feeling but I am more happy pushing on in the car now as it felt a little twitchy beforehand with no LSD in place. My previous toy was a 450 Chimaera which was good fun to drive and allowed me to get the power down at all times as it had a basic mechanical LSD so the 507 feels much better to do this in, especially with the optional factory sports suspension package in the mix as well :D I’m still getting used to the car and it’s abilities and it makes me smile more every time I go out in it.

If you have a look in the C63 group on FB a nice white coupe has just been posted for sale at £21K which is getting some good press so may be worth a look :thumb:

Hi Yex, Thanks for the reply, it definitely sounds like its worth having then.
Chimaera - nice! To be fair I've always had 4wd or fwd, so got my current old 'basic' Sierra as a 'shopping car' and so I can get used to rwd in the wet, as it doesn't do much in the dry ha

Reactions: Yex

Cheers mate, probably a dumb newbie question but what is HK? (When I google C63 HK it comes up with C63 Hong Kong!)

All are available in the W204... diamond is probably the rarest which is silver with an almost ice blue tint, often seen on the lesser models but I only know of 4 C63s in the U.K. in this colour. Palladium is almost graphite grey, iridium is essentially just silver, and tenorite is a darker colour with a navy blue tint.
bi5l3s.jpg

The top is iridium and bottom diamond.

As Ashley says, HK is a brilliant option in these, very common on the PFL but not so much on FL.
I knew personally of one PFL which had a new engine from MB due to head bolts, it seems more common in the US.

Thanks for that mate, I looked on google but couldn't find definite paint colours specifically for the W204, so that is a good help.

Cheers mate, probably a dumb newbie question but what is HK? (When I google C63 HK it comes up with C63 Hong Kong!)

Hi - it refers to the upgraded Harmon Kardon Logic 7 HiFi sound system. Highly recommended IMO.

I *think* Magnetite Black is also a rare colour as it was only briefly available on facelift cars 2012-13 ish.

^ as HHamster mentioned. You’ll see small badges over the speaker grills to indicate it’s fitted, although copies of the badges are only circa 99p from the likes of aliexpress... so try and find the spec sheet of a potential purchase to see what the car was specced with

Hi - it refers to the upgraded Harmon Kardon Logic 7 HiFi sound system. Highly recommended IMO.

Hi, thanks for that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom