Hi All, Looking to buy a S Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bogus7430

Car
None
Hi All,
New member form Bromley London. I am looking to purchase my first Mercedes and looking at the W222 S class.
Maybe it is just me or that I am struggling to find detailed info on the S class. I am only finding generic Mercedes forums and nothing focused on the S class.
I had a couple of queries and was hoping someone on here will be able to help.
I am after a S class with 2 specific features, one the 3D Burmester system and second the Distronic plus.

1) The question i have is after owning a Jag XJ with the Meridian Surround system( which is the best I have heard so far in a car) is the base Burmester system equally good or better ?
2) The model changed in 2018 and has the Burmester system as the base system. Can someone tell me what was the base sound system in the model from 2014 -2018 ?

Thanks

Welcome ! This is quite a useful repository of Mercedes expertise.

To answer your question about S Class websites: I don't think there is one site focussed on that group, which reflects the small number of cars sold (less than 4% of total number of units sold) and the "unique" nature of the owners / drivers. )

A W222 owner will be along in a minute to comment on the Burmester system.

I also suggest that you look on German and US sites to hunt for comments / comparisons, as the biggest markets for the S Class. (China and S. Korea are big too, but the language is the problem in searching).

As an ex-Meridian owning Audiophile (long story), the question I'd ask is what music are you intending to play, and from what sources? The opinion of a Rock musician will be different than that of an Opera buff, etc etc. (And beware the opinions of those listening to heavily compressed sources)

Enjoy your test drives and comparisons. If you're ever passing by Stuttgart, drop in and see the S class production line at Sindelfingen. It's jaw-dropping.

Last edited:
2nd This:

If you're ever passing by Stuttgart, drop in and see the S class production line at Sindelfingen. It's jaw-dropping.

I saw the line when the w140 was being built as above.

As a taster:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've heard both systems and to me, the Meridian is far superior.

Strangely, Bromley is my old stomping ground years ago (Hayes more specifically near De Stefano).

Thanks Mike for the link.

I listen to music primarily from Spotify. and

John, yes Meridian one of the best I have heard.

Almost shortlisted a car. Waiting for some numbers.

Also confused on whether to stick to old V6 diesel engine or new inline 6 diesel

You’re best to look for a vehicle with the premium plus package, as that is what adds the Burmester in the facelift model and a lot of the later pre facelift models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.[/QUOTE]
Enjoy your test drives and comparisons. If you're ever passing by Stuttgart, drop in and see the S class production line at Sindelfingen. It's jaw-dropping.

We picked up my 221 from the factory in 2008,a great experience. We where lucky as it was January and there where very few picking there cars up so we had a tour guide all to our self. Very unsettling, enormous factory with very few people and lots of robots making strange noses :)

You’re best to look for a vehicle with the premium plus package, as that is what adds the Burmester in the facelift model and a lot of the later pre facelift models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you JBD. That's what I am after.

More surprises as I found out heated windscreen is an option and not standard. Very few cars come with that feature.

What has been the experience of people in UK in the autumn and winter months with icy frost. Honestly I hate that my Porsche Macan takes longer to de-fog than my JCW.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Hi All,

My search has almost come to an end. I have found a S600 W22 with every single option ticked (owned by a rich guy who was only chauffeured around) with just 20k miles on the clock. It also has the 3D surround system..

I noticed the main lights were unusually foggy and discoloured. Upon enquiring was told condensation was the cause and it is normal. I insisted it was more deeper qn issue and now they have agreed to replace both front units. Hoping car will be ready next week.

Any suggestions on what tyre you can use on a car like this. Conti's and Dunlops seem to the OEM choice. Never had those before. Struggling with Michelin sizes.

Hi All,
I noticed the main lights were unusually foggy and discoloured. Upon enquiring was told condensation was the cause and it is normal. I insisted it was more deeper qn issue and now they have agreed to replace both front units. ......

You're right, it's not normal. You were right to insist on replacement. The caution is that this may be pointing to a car left in a moist, unventilated storage / garage. I'm sure it's a lovely car, but bear this in mind - you might find unwanted moisture elsewhere.

S600 V12's are often low mileage, high days and holidays cars. As such they're great bargains. You just have to be prepared to maintain them. There are people around who think that you can run a £120k car on a fish and chip budget. They're wrong - even if they're doing the fettling for with their own hands.

As for "icy frost" - just tell your man to dry the car down before putting it in the garage. Sindelfingen cars are used all over the world, in the most demanding of conditions. The UK won't present any challenge to cars that are built to operate in snow (or 100+ degree F) for great chunks of the year.

Absolutely. W.r.t to the maintenance I think I am prepared as I have had prior experience with a W12 engined car [emoji6][emoji6].

Need to check some extended warranty options when I go to finalise the deal.

Worth checking exactly what kind of servicing the car has had. If it's been just oil changes for the last few, there'll be some cost lurking in there. (But that said, it's a fairly straightforward calculation).

Interesting topic regarding the S600.

In my opinion you are wise to get the best specified 600 you can as it will be easier to sell down the line.
The 600's are harder to value in the trade than an AMG as fewer come to market, so buy wisely.

The S600L I am custodian of, is a late 2010 car and the first owner ticked every option box. So this became a £140k car out of the showroom. It has the full AMG kit with roof spoiler and 20" Forged AMG wheels which makes it look striking.

Distronic plus is very useful and the Night Vision is a nice to have on country lanes where errant deer and badgers lurk. Rear entertainment is a good to have option, as is the fridge option.

Here is my Spec:
  • 197U LAK-METALLIC BLACK OBSIDIAN (OBSIDIANSCHWARZ)
  • 205B MANUAL ON EXPL. AND SER.KNIZHKA IN ENGLISH
  • 218 REAR CAMERA CAMERA
  • 223 ELECTRIC REGULATOR. BACK JOB. SEAT AND UNDERGROUND
  • 230 PARKING RELIEF SYSTEM
  • 231 REMOTE CONTROL OF GARAGE GATES
  • 233 SIS.POD.ZDANN.SKOR.I bezop.dist.PLUS (DIST.PLUS)
  • 234 ASSISTANT OF THE "DEAD ZONE" CONTROL
  • 236 ADAPTIVE LIGHTING IN THE REAR SALON
  • 249 INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL MIRROR, WITH AUTOMATIC
  • 255B
  • 275 MEMORY PACKAGE (WATERSPACE, ROLLER COLUMN AND MIRROR)
  • 276 MEMORY FUNCTION IN THE REAR PART OF THE SALON
  • 283B INFORM. PLATE BY SAFETY PILLOWS. - ENGLISH. LANG.
  • 294 KNEE SECURITY PILLOW
  • 297 SUNSET. BLIND WITH EL.-PRIV. JOB LEFT / RIGHT. DOORS
  • 305B LANGUAGE LANGUAGE - ENGLISH
  • 308 REFRIGERATING DEPARTMENT IN THE REAR SALON
  • 310 DOUBLE RACK
  • 383B PLATE WITH INDICATED. FOR BATTERIES ON ENGLISH LANGUAGE
  • 386 PACKAGE "UNIVERSAL TELEPHONY"
  • 401 FRONT AIR-CONDITIONING
  • 402 AIR CONDITIONING. SEATS REAR
  • 406 MULTICONTURES. SEAT IN THE BACK OF THE SALON
  • 413 PANORAMIC MOBILE / GLASS HATCH
  • 423 automatic transmission 5-STUP.
  • 432 SEAT WITH DYNAMIC SUPPORT LEFT AND RIGHT
  • 436 COMFORT HEADREST SEAT WATER. AND TRANSFER.
  • 437 HEADREST COMFORTABLE IN BACK SALON PARTS
  • 443 STEERING WHEEL WITH HEATING
  • 461 CONTR. PRIB. WITH INDICATIONS OF MILES AND ENGLISH RECORDINGS
  • 475 TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM (RDK)
  • 476 AUTOMATIC RECOGNITION OF MOTION BAND
  • 487 ABC SUSPENSION (ACTIVE BODY LEVEL CONTROL)
  • 518 UNIVERSAL COMMUNICATION INTERFACE (UCI)
  • 527 COMAND DVD APS WITH NAVIGATION
  • 530A LEATHER EXCLUSIV
  • 531A EXCLUSIVE LEATHER - BLACK / ANTHRACITE
  • 537 NUMBER. RADIO STANDARD DAB (DIGITAL. AUDIO)
  • 537L UNITED KINGDOM AND NORTHERN IRELAND
  • 538 DRIVER'S FATIGUE RECOGNITION SYSTEM
  • 540 ELECTRIC REAR GLASS BLIND
  • 551 ANTI-THEFT ALARM SYSTEM (EDW)
  • 581 AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL SYSTEM
  • 582 CLIMATIC SYSTEM IN THE REAR SALON
  • 596 HEAT. GLAZING TRIPLEX WITH IR FILTER, KT
  • 5XXL EUROPE
  • 600 COOL CLEANER
  • 608 AUTOMATIC SWITCHING ON OF FARING LIGHT (IHC)
  • 610 NIGHT VISION SYSTEM
  • 621 LEFT-HAND FLARE ILS
  • 62N STEUERCODE WERK SINDELFINGEN / GRAZ
  • 666 PROTECTION TRANSPORTING. A / M, WITHOUT TRANSPORT. Ears
  • 682 FIRE EXTINGUISHOR
  • 690 RESERVOIR (MINISPARE)
  • 771 CENTRAL CARBON CONSOLE (AMG)
  • 772 AMG SURVEY AND SHOVEL LINING
  • 77N STEUERCODE WERK SINDELFINGEN / GRAZ
  • 800 AEJ 09/1
  • 810 ACOUSTIC PREMIUM SYSTEM
  • 814 DVD CHANGE
  • 817 BRACKET SIREN FOR IMPROVED. ANTI-THEFT PROTECTION
  • 863 TV / TUNER DIGITAL / ANALOG
  • 864 MULTIMEDIA SIST. IN BACK OF SALT (2 DISP.)
  • 867 FRONT PASSENGER - ENTERTAINMENT
  • 875 HEATER WASHER
  • 876 PACKAGE FUNCTIONS LIGHTING SALON
  • 881 REMOTE CLOSING TRUNK LID
  • 882 SALON PROTECTION SYSTEM
  • 883 SERVO-LOCK
  • 885 ENHANCED PROTECTION AGAINST THEFT
  • 889 KEYLESS - GO
  • 88V SPEED- + LOADINDEX ZR20 ZR20 XL XL +
  • 910 EXTENSIVE GENERATOR
  • 950 AMG SPORTS PACKAGE
  • 983 COC CERTIFICATE (EURO 4 STANDARD) WITHOUT T / C PASSPORT
  • 989 PLATE WITH IDENTIFIC. NUMBER UNDER WINDSHIELD
  • 99N STEUERCODE WERK SINDELFINGEN / GRAZ
  • B12 TOOL TO REPLACE THE WHEEL
  • F221 MODEL SERIES 221
  • FV EXTENDED SEDAN
  • GA AKP
  • HA REAR BRIDGE
  • K11 ADAPTIVE STOP-SIGNAL FLASHING
  • K14 Control Code for Interservice Interval 20000
  • M275 V12 PETROL ENGINE - M275 BITURBO
  • M55 WORKING VOLUME 5.5 L
  • P17 KEYLESS-GO PACKAGE
  • P20 PACKAGE "PLUS" SYSTEM AUTOM. TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT
  • P35 LIGHT PACKAGE
  • P42 SPECIAL MODEL "2LOOK-EDITION" AMG
  • P43 COMFORTABLE SEAT PACKAGE IN THE REAR SALON
  • P44 PARKING LIGHTNING PACKAGE
  • P45 FRONT ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM PACKAGE
  • P46 PACKAGE SYSTEM ENTERTAINMENT REAR SALON
  • P48 SEAT FRONT PACKAGE
  • P54 ANTI- THEFT PACKAGE
  • R PRAVOTERNO. DISTRIBUTION RUL.UPRAVL.
  • R01 SUMMER TIRES
  • U01 REAR BELT CONDITION INDICATOR
  • U18 SIST.AVTOM.ROSPOZN.NALICH.DETSKOGO SEAT (AKSE)
  • U26 FOOT PADS - AMG
  • U60 PEDESTRIAN PROTECTION - ACTIVE HOOD
  • U72 DVD-PROIG. WITH REGION. CODE 2, EUROPE, JAPAN
  • VL HALF OF THE FORWARD BRIDGE LEFT
  • VR FRONT FRONT BRIDGE RIGHT
  • W69 DECORAT. ELEMENTS DESIGN, ROYAL VARNISH (BLACK)
  • Y83 DESIGNO CEILING UTILITY ALCANTARA ANTHRACITE
  • Y95 RUL WHEEL DESIGNO WITH SKIN AND WOOD INSERTS

Everything still works, the bodywork and interior is still immaculate and is perhaps one of the most surprising and understated ways of travelling swiftly without making much noise or fuss.

Obtain a Tier 1 Mercedes warranty for circa £100 per month. This will take the worry out of a major wallet emptying bill.

Keep servicing done by MB and allow for £900 - £1200 per service.

I'm sure a more knowledgable forum member will advise if Mercedes still does service packages?

Use the car regularly and ensure you operate all the windows, electric blinds, sun roof, rear panoramic roof blinds and so forth, so they stay operational.

The Continental tyres seem the best fit in terms of outright grip / low noise and you see the traction control light on less frequently when pushing on hard.
I'm running on 20" AMG wheels and suggest a 4 wheel alignment when you change tyres.

I have used the Dunlop Sport Maxx GT and they are highly competent (I have a set fitted to another car), but the Conti has the edge in my opinion.

Mpg: Using a quality Shell or BP fuel you will do 14mpg on journeys of less than 3 miles.

19mpg on average runs of 10 miles plus.

21mpg is attainable at swift motorway speeds.

Finally, keep the car really clean. Use a decent quality brand car wash such as Meguiars and when drying use large microfibres to pat the car down so you don't risk causing any damage to the paint work.

PM me if you want to see my S600L, as it will be coming onto the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom