Hi all, new MB owner and member...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alliedacademian

Car
E220cdi Avantgarde 2003
Hi all,
Took delivery of my E220CDI Avant (Tealight Blue) on 31st October. It is pretty standard except for additional 6CD player (company car list and extras are frowned upon!). Had to go for manual in order to get the top spec Avantgarde, would of preferred autobox but again co car list meant paying just a bit too much for it. Love the car to bits, the level of equipment is superb. Done 4100 miles to end of today.
Best bits - comfort, gadgets (remote boot still gets my kids giggling when out shopping!) Love the hidden bits that you have to look for, auto window up and down using the recirculate button, all windows up & down with remote etc etc. The really useful bit is the SBC Hold when in slow traffic, the foot operated parking brake took a little getting used to and the Hold function (only discovered it today) is brill, no more coordinating clutch, foot brake and parking brake movements!!!
The only niggle isn't really with MB, my company fits handsfree kits, wouldn't fit MB's (see above) and got a third party to fit a really crappy cradle and separate speaker (and yes we even use the Nokia 6310i). Would appreciate any advice on fitting a kit myself (at my own cost) that would at least mute the stereo, integration with the dash display and dash/steering wheel buttons would be a bonus.
Only minor issue is the manual box -selecting first is clunky and second is same when starting from cold, is this a MB quirk?
I won't be driving anything else but MB from now on...
Great forum guys keep up the good work and will try to get to GTGs in the new year.

Cheers for now,

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum :D You have the same colour car as BrianWH who's car is featured on the logo :)

I have the remote boot lid release on mine and it still raises a smile when struggling back to the car with loads of shopping at the supermarket.

I don't have the SBC braking myself but it was demoed to me recently by another forum member and it is the business :D especially the auto activation of the handbrake in traffic.

I don't know much about phone consoles and handsfree kits but you could try a search through the forums as there have been plenty of posts on this subject.

Your car is still fairly new, maybe your manual gearbox will loosen up or free up with a few more miles?
confused.gif

Maybe some of the other guys who have manual boxes can offer further advice.

and finally... Please post some piccies of your car in the gallery ;) :cool:

S.

Last edited:
I think manual boxes loosening up from being tight at new is common place. Never owned a car from new though so only what I have read.

RE handsfree Kit.

Well, hopefully you have not had any holes made in your dash when the cheapo kit was fitted.

Get the proper car kit (if you dont already) for your Nokia (probably about £100 -£150) and if the Mercedes phone console is too integrated (the older ones were just a generic mounting console) buy a car specific bracket (no drilling required) from Dashmount (w211 bracket)

Last edited:
Hi David - welcome to the group and MB ownership. I took delivery of my MB only yesterday so am new too. They're a great bunch:D

Originally posted by pammy
Hi David - welcome to the group and MB ownership. I took delivery of my MB only yesterday so am new too. They're a great bunch:D

Since Brian isnt awake yet .......

Pickies in the Gallery please! :D :bannana: :bannana:

Originally posted by alliedacademian
The only niggle isn't really with MB, my company fits handsfree kits, wouldn't fit MB's (see above) and got a third party to fit a really crappy cradle and separate speaker (and yes we even use the Nokia 6310i). Would appreciate any advice on fitting a kit myself (at my own cost) that would at least mute the stereo, integration with the dash display and dash/steering wheel buttons would be a bonus.

I don't think you'll be able to integrate anything into the cars audio system, either the speakers, the display or steering wheel control, the best you might get is to be able to mute the stereo.

Interesting comments on SBC Hold (which I don't have :() I hadn't thought how that helped with a manual gearbox. Hopefully the box will loosen up.

Enjoy the car and hopefully see you at a GTG soon!

ok ok - I'll do piccies today - but only of the car:D

And both MB cars and MBclub forum members are great:D

baywatch.jpg

Welcome to the mad house David!!!!

...and can I have a wee piccy tooPam heheheheh

Bob:bannana:

Welcome David.

Another member of the Blue brigade :bannana:

Don't fancy yours much Graham !

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back