Hi All new to the forum with Purchase of C43/55 convert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mayur335

Car
1999 W202 C43/C55 , 2011 Smart Fortwo Brabus
Hi all Recently purchased a car acident damaged Had a MB club Sticker in the window, so I thought Why not sign up. Its ahd abit of a smack on the front end i'l have to sort out, before i can get it going.
I thought someone on here may know some info on this car, in the hope of getting this lovely car back on the road. its a Blue/green 99 C43 (T124 LLE)

took delivery of it on new years eve. On friday got rid of all the smashed up parts on the front end. salvaged what i could one lamp,one wiper, 4 parking sensors,

saturday morning removed the battery charged it up, put it back in, ignition came alive but not crank on the turn of the key. :fail Thought it may be that the steering wheel airbag had gone thats why it would start.

pluged in the scanner. cleared all the codes i could find. still no luck.

I just wanted to start the engine before i start getting into repairing the body work. Managed to find the starter wire on the OVP fusebox gave it 12v while the ignition was on and it fired rite up. wicked:bannana:

so this evenings task is to remove the engine and gearbox and get the body ready for repair.

one problem i did find when starting the engine was a crack on the front timimg cover, oil shot out 4-5 mitres outta the crack hitting the parked car infront. will upload some pics as soon as i get a chance.

It was my car, accident on Oct. 11th, I think the reason why it is not cranking is the gearbox/brake pedal interlock cable or gear selector got damaged in the accident.
There is a couple of threads in the Project section about it
regarding rust repair, the respray, and the engine conversion,
links,
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/mbclub-projects/135085-w202-rust-word-warning.html
and
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/mbclub-projects/98819-my-c43-c55-conversion.html

I do have lots and lots of reciepts for all the work I have carried out from when I bought in 2007, it appeared in a 7 page magazine article in my ownership also, and had a professional photo shoot with which I still have all the pics of it.
If you look on my profile at the album links you will see it at its prime.
There is a member on here IIRC that had, may still have it a front bumper with parking sensors.
I will do you a deal, I will give you all the documentation I have for the car if once you have it back on the road you bring it to Southampton to show me.

Nah roof was ok Nic, though I did think the dash had shifted, but thinking about it I don,t see how it could of done without cracking the windscreen was was still good after the accident.
O/P I possibly have an airbag, and new MB front discs and Pads if you want them.
Also still have the original engine (timing cover might fit the 55 engine) the original Halogen Lights (as I retro fitted the Headlight Wash/Wipe, Xenons, and the electric Headlight levelling system.

Last edited:
sounds like a plan. sound have the car done hopefully next month depending on how busy i am with other work.
ive been looking at the body damage. and even thought about getting a doner shell and transfering everything over. but my mate with a bodyshop assures me he can fix it.

i'l keep it as a back up plan if he cant.

gotta get a doner car anyway. c240 with a m112 engine i got a feeling they also use the same timing cover. if it doenst il give you a shout andy.(also on the airbag and brakes.)

also roof is fine. just the front end is f**k'd

start of pulling it apart

Last edited:
sounds like a plan. sound have the car done hopefully next month depending on how busy i am with other work.
ive been looking at the body damage. and even thought about getting a doner shell and transfering everything over. but my mate with a bodyshop assures me he can fix it.

i'l keep it as a back up plan if he cant.

gotta get a doner car anyway. c240 with a m112 engine i got a feeling they also use the same timing cover. if it doenst il give you a shout andy.(also on the airbag and brakes.)

It has specific AMG brakes, so the brakes won,t be any good though there is nothing wrong with the front discs I was going to replace them at the next service.
What do you plan to use off of the 240? as the rad will be different, and so is the ABS pump as well I think (if its damaged), the airbag might also be different as the wheel on the AMG is different to most 202 ones, body panels etc?
Where are you in the UK?

Last edited:
mainly body panels. bonnet wing. front beam. front inner arch has been crumpled. so possibly that too. driver seat belt. all small plastic clips. bonnet catches etc. lamps. lamp frame. rad and ac rad will prob have to be new. Do you know what work ha been carried out on the engine. timing chain, guide rails. etc? i can see you have put in a recon gearbox.
just thought i may aswell change the chain if im pulling the cover off.

I think it has factory xenons so you will need to find xenon headlight lenses.

most other body parts are standard w202

mainly body panels. bonnet wing. front beam. front inner arch has been crumpled. so possibly that too. driver seat belt. all small plastic clips. bonnet catches etc. lamps. lamp frame. rad and ac rad will prob have to be new. Do you know what work ha been carried out on the engine. timing chain, guide rails. etc? i can see you have put in a recon gearbox.
just thought i may aswell change the chain if im pulling the cover off.

No work done on the Timing Chain bud, original.

Engine came out.

Last edited:
Think I might stick to the standard halogen lamps for now. I'l see later about The xenons. Oh and Andy I'm in northwest London.

I've got a couple of M113 engines in my garage at the moment, breaking for spares, including ancillaries.

One is 5.4 w210 E55 and the other is W202 C43.

Let me know if you need anything.

The 5.4 has performance headers on it :) An easy swap while the engine is out!

If you fit halogens make sure you salvage the electric levelling motors as the halogens have pneumatic ones, and the pneumatic system was completely stripped out of the car when I installed the xenons.
The electric ones will fit in the Halogen headlight no problem.
Do ensure you put the right type halogen headlights in, you will need the headlights with two round black covers on the back of it. The wiring should a direct swap from the xenons to the halogens. Do make sure you keep the fog light wiring loom even if damaged as this loom is hard to get possibly not available any more.

Will do for sure.

I'l make a start on striping the engine down for the new chain and cover while a look a stare at the front end of the car and decide what to do.

when we had the car up in the air and had a look underneath looks like the whole chassis leg on the passenger side has been pushed back/downwards and sideways. and the driver side leg has got a kink in it.

Oh what to do??

I noticed that the plug for the air pump on the front on the engine was disconnected. Do you know why this would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom