hi chaps - potential new owner here!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

recardo

hi folks

been lurking here for a while, but now getting closer to scratching that MB itch I have so would like to get advice from the good people here!

thinking about going to see a 2004 E220 CDI AVANTGARDE. advert pics look good and its resonably close to me.
Its advertised for £9K (was £10K a few weeks ago).
Advert has the following info;
Silver, black leather, 7 seats , a/c & climate, sat nav, cruise, auto/tip. full history, AMG alloys.

So some questions I have -
  • any opinions on the advert?
  • is £9k too much? (online valuations range from £5k - £9k for dealer & private).
  • what sort of mpg can be expected from a e220 estate? (40+ on a motorway run?)
  • havent found many horror stories here, but tales of fuel pumps and injectors etc else where are scary, how likely is adding another 50K to the miles to result in big bills (assuming regular servicing at a good indie)?

any comments on the above and general advice on E & Class estates welcomed

thanks

Recardo

What's the mileage of the car?
I would only look at least the 270 or 320 CDi in the estate version, personally.

Price is good for a private as long as it has full service history.

35 to 40 mpg on motorway miles will be about right.

Big car, big bills when it goes wrong. No escaping it.

Expect to pay about 280/300 for a B service. 140/180 for A service.

Cracking motor though, thats what I should have gone for!

I have the 6 cylinder 3.2 CDi engine and average 30 round town and 45-55 mpg on the motorway.

Mine`s a W210 with 144,000 on the clock. Gives well over 40 on a run of at least 50 miles and has given 50.1 over the last 1750 miles inc 1650 miles between Andalucia and Wirral.This trip included negotiating heavy and often crawling traffic around Madrid,in Pamplona,around the Periperhy of Paris and of course the infamous M25!
A full service history is in my opinion essential. A good one can bring much pleasure at minimal cost.
Happy Motoring
Regards
John

Hi Ricardo welcome to the forum :thumb:

Hi Ricardo
Welcome from me too :thumb:

Hello and Welcome

I'm new to E class ownership and currently mine is doing 37 - 44 mpg on a mixture of runs (E320Cdi) I doubt running costs now vary much from a 220, 270 and 320 and have to say the 320 does go quite nicely :)

It is a large car so I would test the 220 and see what you think.

thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated.

270 CDi would definately be an option, just havent seen one yet in my budget.

The 220CDi I'm going to look at definately ticks all the boxes on spec and history (so far), and as is fairly local.
I'm thinking the 150bhp motor would benefit from a remap to add some oomph & torque whilst maintaining similar economy. my current car is remappaed (jap with VAG lump) and it transformed the car :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom