Hi everyone, I'm new in the club!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex1

Car
E220 Coupe 1996
Hi everyone! I'm a proud new owner of the car I've always wanted! But unfortunately in my excitement and haste I was taken for a ride by the second hand car dealer who sold me a car with a blown head gasket... It still runs very well, but sometimes there are little pools of mustard coloured coolant (and oil!) wherever I've been parked. I can't afford to have it repaired at the moment and won't have any time to do it with my dad until next year. Is it worth me cleaning out the radiator and pipes really well and using something like Steel Seal or Bar's Leaks? Any help would be appreciated. I feel like a right idiot!

Attachments

• IMG-20141126-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20141126-WA0000.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 23
It's both a nice car and a good lesson!

Persist with it and you'll fall in love. I run a 1995 S124... Favourite car ever and I've had fancy new in my time...

Good luck

Welcome, nice looking motor and sorry to hear about your woes. In my view there's only one correct course of action - pull the head, full stop.

Check the engine wiring loom too as they infamously degrade over time.

My first Merc was a W124 320ce that also developed a leaking head gasket once it reached 120,000 miles. My leak was'nt too serious so carried on driving it for a few months. I had it fixed at the main dealers who charged me about £1,000 around 10 to 12 years ago.
Have you had the car long, and was it ''sold as seen to you'' ?
You may be able to go back to the dealer you have bought the car from and tell them about the problem, it is worth a try and may even offer something towards the repair.
Good luck, and by the way you have a very desirable over engineered car which you will love once you have solved this problem.

info

Hi sorry you have problems with the head gasket .Please dont strip it down untill you have a pressure test ,to find out 100% that the head gasket as failed.

Hi!
Join the gang - those of us stung by a crooked dealer/seller.

You don't need vast amounts of cash or skill to fix your problem. Continuing to run the engine leads to the potential iso of getting water on top of the piston and bending a connecting rod.

Fortunately, the engine is of an era when we didn't need to be computer programmer to fix it.

I found a BRIlLLIANT supplier in the States (Partscontainer) that provide parts that are good and that fit.

I would look up their website and get a top overhaul kit. Get on to Pelican Parts website and they usually have a detailed project instructions, but after you mark the camshaft position, take the timing chain off whilst you drain all the water off and then whip the head off. Clean the block and the head carefully, smear grease on the gasket and smaller o rings and put the head back on. The internet is a rich source of data and will provide the torque and tightening sequence for the head.

If you prepare carefully, you should be able to do all the work on a Saturday, but allow the whole weekend. You will have a beautiful car restored o its former glory and the joy of driving her will know no bounds.

Take courage, and dive in - it is not rocket science.

Good luck

Sandykelly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom