hi everyone, petrol cap release/ not latching.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shaunh

Car
mercedes 350sl r230 model
Hi Folks, I have an issue with my petrol cap release. The cap releases when i open the car doors using the buttons on the remote key but will only lock when i lock the doors again using the buttons on the key. It will not latch closed when the doors are open.
The car is a mercedes 350sl 2005 model (r230). Now I did not get the thick owners manual with the car just the thin quick guide and I was just wondering if it has something to do with the programming using the buttons on the steering wheel. Some guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

When you say open do you mean open or unlocked? My wife has the same car ,same age, her cap went through a phase that it would open when pressed but the wouldnt latch when you tried to close it. I never checked if it closed when locked. Anyway it turned out just to be a partial seizure of the spring element in the latch. a liberal squirt of wd 40 and some manual pressing of the sprung latch bit by hand did the trick. been fine now for six tears.

When you say open do you mean open or unlocked? My wife has the same car ,same age, her cap went through a phase that it would open when pressed but the wouldnt latch when you tried to close it. I never checked if it closed when locked. Anyway it turned out just to be a partial seizure of the spring element in the latch. a liberal squirt of wd 40 and some manual pressing of the sprung latch bit by hand did the trick. been fine now for six tears.
Thank you for the idea of giving it a squirt of wd40. Yes if you push the flap in then lock the doors the petrol flap locks. Open the doors and the flap springs open. It does sound that the spring behind the pin is sticking. Fingers crossed it works.

yes it sounds exactly like mine. The locking pin is operated be the central locking and is separate to the spring push release and close mechanism. Good luck with the WD40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom